London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
16 messages
09/09/2013 at 19:29

Hi all, The sparrows in my garden had a bad year last year but have certainly made up for it over recent months- I'm having to fill both of my feeders twice a day at the moment!  Here's a short video as I walked down the garden towards the hedge they spend most of their time in.  You can't see much but can certainly hear them!

http://youtu.be/7ufDmWmQb_M      

100%                    0%        
09/09/2013 at 19:38

Not a tuneful bird but it's good to hear their chatter.  Our flock has done well too and tends to gather all together in the shrubs near the feeders or have conferences in the conifer hedge which has a hollow centre.

They nest in the eaves and seem to have done well this year here too.  For the last couple of weeks they've been feeding on spilled grain after the wheat harvest in the fields behind but are now returning to my feeders.   They and the assorted tits have done a terrific job hoovering pests off my brassicas, clematis and I've had no bovver from aphids or caterpillars.  Just a few naughty slugs and a very busy and irritating mole who's been tunneling under the beetroot and fennel patch.

09/09/2013 at 19:41

That's a great garden you have Bob.

09/09/2013 at 21:33

Agreed on the great garden comment!

And I like the chirping of Sparrows

09/09/2013 at 21:45

Thanks for the kind comments!  They are very cheery little things if a bit on the skittish side.  There are a few dunnocks down the far end but they do let me get very close.

09/09/2013 at 22:03

That's good news

12/09/2013 at 21:24

hi Bob, great garden and even better, many sparrows. i think i saw sparrow in my garden today, but im not sure if they were wrens. how do i recognise sparrows?

What is best feed. i hang niger seed and sunflower seed, hence many goldfinch, bullfinch, blue tits. coaltits. robins and blackbirds roam on the ground, and i think i saw a song thrush a few weeks ago.

12/09/2013 at 22:00

Hi goldfinch, wrens are much smaller than house sparrows which are about the same size as bullfinches, but less colourful.  The male is a bit more striking, but still mainly brown.  You can tell a wren by its short sticking-up tail. This is quite a nice site for identifying common British birds:

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/

The house sparrow used to be extremely common but has been in decline for the last few decades and has gone completely from some areas.

12/09/2013 at 22:46

thankyou Bob, i saw female sparrows today

12/09/2013 at 23:01

Bob it's nice garden, is enjoyable hearing birds in the garden

I have spotted sparrows a lot in the garden my feeders have been going down fast as anything

Here is a pic from my timelapse cam I set up today

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30952.jpg?width=216&height=350&mode=max

on the right hand side on the feeder

13/09/2013 at 03:51

We have had a brilliant year with young birds, the garden feeders have been covered with baby sparrows, gold, green, bull and  chaff finches, various tits, blackbirds, wood pigeons and for the first year we have a family of starlings. I now have 3 seed feeders, 2 suet blocks and  kitchen scraps out on the patio. I have to hoover the patio every day to clear up the mess!

I counted 21 baby swallows in our horse barn this week all trying to fledge at the same time. Itwas a nightmare trying to do the horses without being dive bombed.we also have another 2 nests which will probably go next week. It is amazing that as soon as these tiny swallows leave the nest they fly thousands of miles. 

On a down though we have not seen the nuthatch return this year and somone shot our buzzard last week. Sick bastards!

13/09/2013 at 06:46

Last year next door had sparrows and starlings nesting in his roof but not this year - not sure where they've gone - we're thinking of putting up some sparrow nest boxes on the side of the house http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/rspb-sparrow-terrace-nestbox.html

Got to check out whether the north side of the house is the right place 

Loved the video Bob, thanks for letting us see your lovely garden 

14/09/2013 at 12:26

I am sad to say that we no longer seem to get any sparrows in our garden at all in fact we hardly have any birds at present despite having several feeders - it is really sad.

14/09/2013 at 12:41

Not many sparrows about, but most of the others seem to have had two lots this year. The greenfinches produced another set of fledglings this morning. Six all lined up waiting for mum. We have lots of blue tits, longtailed tits, robins, greenfinches and bullfinches. nuthatches seem to be holding their own, but goldfinches and chaffinches a bit thin on the ground at the moment.

06/10/2013 at 22:00

50 plus sparrows a time visit our garden, and this year as trifid house says, we have had a family of starlings at the feeders - the first since I was a teenager (a long time!). We have wrens, robins, a pair of dunnocks, blue and great tits and the obligatory wood pigeons and ring necked doves.  We occasionally have the odd flock of visiting long tailed tits too; Not to mention of course, the blackbirds!  We are also priveledged to have a pair of Dunnocks who reside year on year. What we are missing however, is a thrush, which 20 years ago was a regular to the garden. Is it me, or are these much less prolific recently?  Either way, a great year for birds which is encouraging - and expensive (don't mind though!) - We also fill the feeders twice daily; increasing the amount of feeders strangely doesn't help!     

07/10/2013 at 09:26

......bumping up

email image
16 messages