Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Spring!

Lots of Chiffchaffs about today.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Oh how lovely!!! image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

A lot of lots of things. Springimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

nutimage. I wasted at least an hour this a.m. trying to photograph a blue tit and a great tit feeding. Thick mist here until about 11 a.m.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I have watched rooks and other birds building their nests ,They look so funny tugging at twigs and carrying too big sticks back to build their nests.image

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

image Bump up

• Fritillaria meleagris growing strongly - one or two buds showing; cowslips starting to flower; just finished planting out the irises that I split and potted up last autumn; Dapnne mezereum still a mass of flowers attracting the butterflies. There's no better time of year - until we get to the next bit!

• Ah, the Spring chorus of birds. Birds got talent.

They are also in rehearsal here as a stomp percussion band! In addition to the Dunnocks, that tap incessantly on conservatory glass, we have magpies  (that  ring seven bells out of the stainless steel flue) in territorial battle with their own reflection. A neurotic blackbird that suffers panic attacks.Seagulls that tap dance on our zinc roof and an obese pigeon that cartoon twangs the aerial every time it takes off from it. 

• We had a Brambling visit us yesterday for about a half hour. Just gorgeous!. Bird song in spring is one of the finest sounds their is. Apart from the bird song I just love this time of year when everything is starting to spring back to life after the dormant winter months. It was a tad chilly for us this morning too, but I never complain about it on a day when its blue skied and sunny, something about those cold bright days that makes you feel so invigorated.

• I just love the wren that nests in our ivy;  sings until it's tiny body trembles and with its beak raised to the sky. Adorable.

• The Wren. Such a HUGE loud song for such a tiny bird. Lovely.