Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Stoat spotted - a bit worried

Saw a stoat in the garden this evening....started wondering if the dog is safe.  I googled it, says an average dog could be bitten, but not hurt by a stoat.  She not an average size though - tiny dog.  What do you think? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd love to see a stoat again, I haven't seen one for years.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

They are a bit shifty.

• You're very very lucky - last saw stoat family playing in a dry stone wall - must've been about 30 years ago image Delightful image

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

Haven't seen a stoat here, though I did see one in the country park a mile or two away so they do live roundabouts. Have seen weasels a few times, very fast, think they may live in the dry stone walls. Once found one in the dining room that the cat had brought in, don't know how it managed that!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

How fantastic - lucky lucky you image

A stoat eats small mammals  and is a very secretive animal. 

I'm sure your dog, however small, is quite safe image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

Ok.  She is free range in the garden, and stoats can go for prey larger than themselves, but a confrontation is extremely unlikely.  He was probably just passing through. 

it was very enjoyable.  He peaked over a wall, then jumped down from it, so i got a very good view. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

We see a stoat occasionally in the garden, don't think there is anything to worry about, it is more likely to be scared off by the dog. 

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I think the only time a stoat would go for a dog is to protect her young. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

As long as the stoat has an escape route there shouldn't be anything to worry about.  Most animals will avoid confrontation wherever possible.