London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
20 messages
27/04/2014 at 10:26

I have a pair of Sparrows I think are nesting at the back of my garden, they seem to wander round the garden in circles, anyone know what they are doing?

Also blue tits pecking at my Lavender? all seems a bit funny 

27/04/2014 at 10:29

I'd guess the blue tits are picking up greenfly but no idea about the sparrows Mattbeer. Perhaps they're playing hide and seek....

27/04/2014 at 10:37

Haha I like the idea of Hide and Seek. Though I guess they are picking up insects too, I spotted him throwing a green caterpillar about underneath a big Lavender bush :P

Strange he didnt eat it though, my bird food must be more appetizing! 

27/04/2014 at 10:38

He didn't eat it 'cos he's collecting it for the babies - just needs to subdue it a bit first 

27/04/2014 at 10:39

Strange thing Dove is that he left it there 

It was a pretty big caterpillar mind you! :P

27/04/2014 at 10:58

Did he come back with a baseball bat Matt - or a couple of friends? 

27/04/2014 at 16:25

Haha no unfortunately.

But now theres 4 wood pigeons chasing each other!

27/04/2014 at 16:29
Mattbeer87 wrote (see)

Strange thing Dove is that he left it there 

It was a pretty big caterpillar mind you! :P

Maybe he realised it would choke the nestlings 

27/04/2014 at 17:31

I have a lovely Clematis Montata that spreads along back of my house - about 20ft.  Where it comes up the wall, on the corner of the house and where it is bushy sparrows have been nesting.  We reckon there are about 3 families.  The little wretches have nipped off all the leaves and buds from that area.  Further along it is a beautiful mass of blossom.  I love to encourage birds but feel fed up when they do damage.  Any answers to this problem please.

27/04/2014 at 17:38

I think the best answer is not to regard it as a problem. It won't kill a montana and you have the pleasure of the birds.

Relax and enjoy

27/04/2014 at 17:45

I'll go with Nut............it will take a heck of a lot more than sparrows to kill your Montana.........all part of nature...........enjoy the sparrows and your Montana

27/04/2014 at 17:55

I'm beginning to think that I have Dunnocks and not Sparrows. Just checked the song and sounds like and looks more Dunnocks.

Had to chase a Magpie away from where they are nesting 

Luckily the hedge is so thorny and I think the Magpie is a bit big. Hopefully he didnt get in to the nestlings 

27/04/2014 at 18:04

Matt............if your Sparrows have pink legs, then they are Dunnocks

Dunnocks are the "Swingers" of the little bird brigade..........the females tend to be ....how should I put it..........a tad on the promiscuous side ?

You are lucky to have them...........they like sparrows are suffering low numbers in places.

27/04/2014 at 18:13

A small brown and grey bird. Quiet and unobtrusive, it is often seen on its own, creeping along the edge of a flower bed or near to a bush, moving with a rather nervous, shuffling gait, often flicking its wings as it goes.

That is what the RSPB says of a Dunnock. Funnily enough the ones in my garden do this!

I'll keep an eye out for the pink legs.

and I had to lol at the Swinger thing :P

27/04/2014 at 18:27

Definitely Dunnocks

Spotted the pink legs

I can see them taking some of the suet treats into the hedge so I think they are safe from the Magpie Intruder

28/04/2014 at 20:55

Our starlings are pulling pieces from the lavender and flying off with them. Do you think they like a nice smelling nest?

28/04/2014 at 20:59

Strong smelling.......tends to keep insects away........bit like "strewing herbs" people used in the Middle Ages........Starlings are smart birds

28/04/2014 at 21:01

I've heard several reports of birds taking pungent foliage into their nests - I'm sure it's to try to keep insects away - maybe bird-brain isn't an insult after all 

04/05/2014 at 15:28

Dunnock chicks have started fledging already!

Saw the adult hide one underneath my Lavender and bring food to it.

14/05/2014 at 12:09

I have been watching my starling families flying off with oregano sprigs all week and today they have been flying away with sage leaves. Their babies fledged at the weekend but maybe they are getting ready to start again.

email image
20 messages