Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Such a handsome chap

I was pulling up the wallflowers in the front garden when I found this handsome chap. No wonder the Hostas in that bed are so free from damage. imageMr Toad the Gardeners friend 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

He's a beauty Dove.

I took a pic yesterday of one of my frogpoles but as he's only about 2cm long, only I know he's in the picture! He's in the bottom left quarter at the join between the two leaves. Can you see him?

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472

How can people call toads ugly?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    B3 says:

How can people call toads ugly?

See original post

Some people have no taste or imagination image

PP I've spotted him image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Toads are very handsomeimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I took it with my phone camera so the quality is rubbish.

I have to admit I was talking to him. He was a bit lively and I had visions of a "you've been framed" moment of him leaping at me and me ending up in the pond on top of him. 

• My Hostas aren't doing too bad either, I've got ducks in the garden do they eat slugs ?

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653
    Chrissy the gardener says:

My Hostas aren't doing too bad either, I've got ducks in the garden do they eat slugs ?

imageSee original post

Yes ducks do. It seems like they are the key to your Hostas success indeed! 

• He's a fine specimen. I've got at least 8 adult frogs and some smooth newts in my garden pond and, guess what? Very few slugs and snails.

No toads spotted as yet. I understand that they are getting much less common due to traffic fatalities. They crawl as opposed to hop. so are less adept at getting out of the way of oncoming vehicles.

• I've got loads of slugs and snails , also got lots of frogs and toads, so why aren't they eating the slugs.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

He's a smasher Dove image

We had loads of toads (ooh that rhymed!) at our last house. I remember renovating the edge of the smaller pond, and when I moved some rocks, there was a little toad sitting in the little dark space behind them. I felt really bad about disturbing his little home, so I put the rocks back in the same place and reorganised another bit instead...  image image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...