Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Swallows nest

imageThe picture says it all!!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Oh wow! That is absolutely amazing. I am so jealous! Thank you for sharing that with us. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Just wish I was tech savvy enough to set up a video camera!!

For you all who haven't followed my previous thread I believe this to be the same pair who nested in our shed for the first time last year.

Last year they nested very late in the season and out of 5 eggs laid they successfully fledged 3 chicks.

I took this photo yesterday and have no idea yet when they will hatch. The parents aren't sat on the nest yet but return every 30minutes or so to 'check on things' .

..... I wonder if my old baby monitor would do the job!!!!

• David WDavid W Posts: 84

Great to see, let's hope they are successful.

We have house martins nesting just outside our bedroom window, the sounds we hear from the nest make us smile. No way to get a camera inside of course but we know the chicks have hatched as the egg shells have been thrown out of the nest. The first we will see of them is when they are older and are poking their heads out if the entrance waiting for mum or dad to feed them.

Cheers.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Well .... still no hatchlings yet. Not sure when the eggs were laid but I've read that 10-21 days is typical with 14-18 days being the average.

Both parents still in attendance ... fx for some hatchlings soon image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Looking forward to the birth announcement! I wonder if you'll manage to get pics when they are big enough to look out?

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Missy KrissyMissy Krissy Posts: 249

That is so awesome can't wait to see more pictures! 

Here they are!!!

Curiosity got the better of me again today so I popped my camera over the nest and greeted with this beautiful sight ?. Looks like all 5 eggs hatched and seem to be doing OK. Both parents bringing in plenty of food.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Beautiful - thanks for sharing image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.