Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Tadpoles

Earlier in the year I had loads of frog spawn so much you could hardly put a pin between it, When it was frosty at night I put a fleece across the pond to protect it, the pond also has a net over to stop birds eating it. Now I have nothing not a single tadpole anyone have any idea why, so disappointed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Are there any fish in your pond?  They eat frogspawn and tadpoles.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• No its a wildlife pond sorry should have said

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Maybe they're in the hidden depths at the moment?

Or do you have newts (or rather does your pond have newts)?  They eat tadpoles.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Don't think so have never seen newts perhaps its just not quite warm enough

• We have had a problem too. I think the frogs are still in the pond and living off the tadpoles. Also, we have dragon fly lavae that I'm told eats anything.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Ours completely disappeared two days ago.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Newly hatched tadpoles will certainly be gobbled up by dragonfly nymphs but they'd be unlikely to polish off the lot.

• They may be too tiny to spot yet. Wait until a sunny day and look around the edge of the pond where the sun is warmest. That's where they will bask and be easiest to see.