London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
13/05/2012 at 18:07

I had some old hanging-basket frames that I got at a a garage sale, and I have successfully used two of these to create a cage in which to hang the peanut feeder. It's aimed at protecting from squirrels, which don't just take the nuts but will pull apart the whole feeder, or knock it down and hide or remove it.

I'm now considering making a second one to protect the fatballs from the jackdaws and magpies, who demolish them in no time, but I can't decide whether I'm just bieng soppy in wanting the tits and finches to have first peck at them.

13/05/2012 at 18:49

@lunaz.. i am glad that you have found a way to keep them all happy.. i have found it only way as i love the starlings comind in.

i rememeber when i saw the blackbird feeding at the feeder for first time.. took him ages to get hand of holding onto the perch..

13/05/2012 at 18:50

@lurnaz.. i get my suet pellets at local pet food supplier.. cheapest i can get is 5kg for 11.49.. how does that rate with e-bay and postage costs etc.

14/05/2012 at 21:57

Have you looked at the RSPB's online catalogue? They sell all kinds of devices to keep squirrels and larger birds at bay e.g. you can buy a ground feeder cage which will exclude starlings or even a feeder which will defeat the dreaded parakeets.

Personally I'm cleaned out on a regular basis by jackdaws and squirrels.Also I don't put food on the ground because my neighbours are so worried about rats. (The woodpigeons pretty much hoover up instantly anyway).

19/07/2013 at 10:43

have you thought about squirrel bafflers? I think they are a good alternative to traps - eventually they just won't come into your garden...

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages