Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

They're back!!!

I am soooo happy!!

Last year 2 swallows made a late attempt to nest in my garden shed. They laid 5 eggs, the first 2 that hatched died but the other 3 fledged successfully.

As they were late nesting and the first 2 hatchlings died I believe they were a young pair.

This morning they arrived back (well I think it's them) just the 2 and both went straight back into the shed so I'm assuming it's the same pair (do they usually keep the same partner?)

Anyway I'm ecstatic (my husband not so much as he's now banned from repainting the shed until they've fledged again!!

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

The first hint of summer and before we know it the weeds will be knee high. Lovely to know that the birds have made the hazardous journey safely.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Good news!

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • MarygoldMarygold Posts: 332

Oh! How lucky you are. I think they stay in pairs and return to the same nest site each year. Keep us posted.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Lovely news image  Looking forward to progress reports image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Sand Martins are back at my nearest RSPB reserve.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Swallows are back here too and a couple of redstarts - definately uplifting image

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

It really is uplifting, I'm revising for some pretty intense exams at the moment and just took a 'breather stroll' in the garden.

Frogs, bees, 2 lots of blue tit nests, plants all pushing through and between the rain some sunshine .... I love Spring.

• Good luck JonesK - with the swallows and your exams image

Thanks Jinxy, with over a 30% failure rate I'll need it (the exams not the swallows that is!!)

Will keep you posted image

Well ... last week I almost posted to say that I thought we had lost one of our swallows. I had only seen 1 swallow flying around for several weeks and not bothering with our shed at all, as the rest of the swallows still haven't turned up I assumed that they arrived too early and perhaps there wasn't enough food around.

So today I gave my husband the go ahead to sand and repaint the outside of the shed. About 20minutes later 2 swallows turned up and flew straight in and took up residence!!

Really am happy ... but now with a half sanded shed I think were going to have to push on today and hopefully get it finished!!!

Will keep you all updated image