London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
12 messages
26/04/2013 at 11:15

Can anyone tell me how long it takes from spawn to tadpoles, also I have not long ago started a wild life pond with just a few plants in will there be enough to eat for them?

26/04/2013 at 14:13

Between two and three weeks, depending a bit on weather conditions. 

I have a few questions for you, though!

When did you "start" your pond?

How big is it?

Whereabouts in your garden is it?

What plants are there?

Where did the spawn come from? i.e. did a frog/toad lay it in your pond or did you bring it from somewhere else?

Newly hatched tadpoles eat the remains of their own egg sacs and then eat various algae and some semi-decaying vegetable matter before eventually becoming more-or-less carnivore, though will eat insect larvae.  At a push, you could tie some small pieces of (raw) liver or red meat on a bit of string and suspend this in the pond water, though it wouldn't be a good idea to do this too much as young froglets/toadlets are very susceptible to problems caused by poor water quality.

I bet that if you google for more info as to what you could help with, food-wise, t'internet will probably come up with some ideas for you.

26/04/2013 at 16:07

We have had the pond about 18 years and up until last year we had gold fish and shibumkins until we were visited by the new local otter, and over night the lot had gone we bought a net and a few more fish and low and behold two days later they were gone so no more fish! The pond is just 2Mts.x2Mtts. I have a couple of  lilies, marigold type , various iris and some oxygenaters. There is and escape route if any falls in as the sides are straight up,no beach part. I was just going to move one of the plants when I saw two long strands of spawn. They should be happy enough in there I just didn't know how long they would be.

26/04/2013 at 16:21

Hello again - from your first post I thought your pond was a new venture, but it sounds as though it's really well established.  Provided there's a suitable escape route for anything which falls in and/or wants to get out, everything should be fine!

26/04/2013 at 16:50

Pesky critters!

Finty-lovely to have an otter in theory but....not so good in reality!

Your pond sounds great and hyper's advice and comments are spot on. The toads will be a great help with any slug/snail issues! I know lots of people find them ugly but I think they're rather sweet 

26/04/2013 at 17:21

When we had our pond excavated, chappy with the bulldozer asked me what fish I would be getting.  None, i said, it's for forgs and toads and newts.  He had a fit of hysterical giiggles at the idea of a mad English woman paying good money to have a pond for wild amphibians.   He still comes and does odd jobs for us.  The latest is the new shed base and he loves to know what the English ahev been up to.

Been so cold here the frogs and toads are only just getting into mating mode.  heaven knows what they'll think of a daft Labrador boouncing around the pond but at least he and Rasta see off the mallards that might eat the spawn..

26/04/2013 at 20:31

Hi I'm not new to fish pond life but for some reason wild life pond seems much different there are some leaves in the bottom I was wondering whether to get some snails or something but I'm not sure where from as our fish supplier we used to use has since closed down, does anyone think they would be necessary.

26/04/2013 at 20:54

I think  that pond lifeventually finds its own way where it wants to be, but can help by doing basic maintenance. Stranded spawn sounds like toad or newt to me. Lucky you! Our pond is onl a few months old and the plants have only just gone in so I am not overly hopeful for too much activity in ours yet. It's not even fully finished in terms of edging etc.

26/04/2013 at 21:29

Wildlife will move into a pond without help but if you have fish they will eat a lot of it. It's hard to get a complete balance with exactly what you want. Once a particulaspecies is dominant, in our pond that's newts, it's hard for frogs and toads,to get established and I'd like frogs and toads. 

I expect lots of insects will turn up in summer and you'll start seeing them and their larvae. Snails often come in as eggs with pond plants. Hard to say how neccessary any one species is but once you've seen a ramshorn snail, with its red or yellow underside, walking upside down from the surface of the water you won't want to lose them.

Then you need to get a microscope, one of those that goes with a computer, and start looking at the life you can't see with a naked eye. Nematode worms under the microscope, terrifying. The microscopes come round at Aldi from time to time. 

27/04/2013 at 12:55

Thanks everyone as I said we now don't have any fish, otters are very nice but buying breakfast for them every other day is a bit much. I'm just on my hands and knees each morning seeing if there is anything new, a 66 yr. old child again, but who cares anyway. 

27/04/2013 at 12:59

I do the same finty, there's always something in there.

27/04/2013 at 13:23

I had a small pond installed 2 years ago.  Everybody told me that frogs and toads would be falling from the sky when they realise I had a pond in my garden.  In fact, nothing arrived.  So 2nd year I was given some frog spawn by a friend who had a pond ( and frogs) in his garden for years.  It took seemingly forever for the chaps to hatch and then eventually turn into fully grown frogs.  This years I've encounterd just one frog in the garden - scared the living daylights out of me when I'm sure it tried to jump for my throat whilst tidying up old fern leaves around the pond edge.  I've got no frog spawn yet, but then somebody told me it takes two years for a frog to mature to lay/fertilise eggs.  Maybe next year.....!  Or perhaps it will rain frogs and toads after all!

email image
12 messages