1 to 20 of 21 messages
10/09/2012 at 20:50

I have a small pond that was put in over 12 months ago. The toads moved in last September. Since then there have been a few sightings, one time there were two of them. It looked like there were  tadpoles for a while, one larger toad was seen yesterday in the pond.

I'm looking for advice about how to keep and look after these creatures. The pond will have to be netted during the Autumn.

Thanks

10/09/2012 at 20:56

Brilliant news that the toads found your pond. When you net it leave a few places where the net is held up a couple of inches so they can get in and out. Like most amphibians they do not spend much of their time in the water, you are much more likely to see them lurking in cool damp places in the garden. I have frogs mostly, and they tend to start calling and mating in the pond in Jan/Feb time depending on the temperature.

I'm sure a toad expert will be along shortly!

10/09/2012 at 20:58

Toads spend most of their time out of a pond and are usually only in it when spawning. They tend to live in damp places. Mine like to be in my compost heap; green house; under stones/old flower pots. Don't be too tidy. Leave space under your net for small animals  to get in and out of your pond if you net it. Inspect your net regularly in case anything has got caught in the net. I don't net my pond but lift the leaves off regularly with a net before they rot and sink.

10/09/2012 at 21:11

Cheers Flo, I'm very happy to see them especially as they've been seen over the last 12 months. The pond is very much part of the woodland area so there's plently of dark damp and cool conditions.

10/09/2012 at 21:30

Hi Daintiness, I have to put some netting up as the pond is under two Beech trees. didn't think of that when it was put in place. That area of the garden isn't very tidy at alll. Nature finds it own way

10/09/2012 at 22:29

Toads! How lovely.

Wish I had space for a pond too  and have only had a couple of frogs which love the dampness in one area of my garden.

Enjoy!

10/09/2012 at 22:46

Hi Hollie-Hock I put a little pond in 2003 found at local skip with holes in

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11547.jpg?width=288&height=255&mode=max

I did spot toads the year after and spotted the string of toad spawn but now it's full of frogs and newts but i don't often see toads.  Don't worry they'll be there.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/11548.jpg?width=336&height=350&mode=max

Newts mating I believe hours of fun and best spotted in the eve those these weren't shy

10/09/2012 at 22:49

date on first pic 2009 because we cleared around it to put in a path and it was very wild!

11/09/2012 at 11:17

You lucky thing Budlia63, I've had a pond for years (with fish) and have froglets every year(spend my life rescuing them from cats!) but never had newts.

This must have been a good year as the pond edging has run out of space(occupied with frogs and juniors) As the garden is still overrun with slugs and snails, I wonder what the frogs eat!

Hey Freshairfanatic.......stop wishing and put a large bowl in your garden and place a bog plant in it......before long you will find that frogs have turned into their "des res" They did that in my garden. Good luck.

11/09/2012 at 12:31

I have read that ponds do not normally have frogs, newts and toads. Don't know why or even if it's true. Probably thaey like different conditions.  I have always had frogs and newts but only ever once seen a toad here and never toad spawn. Though I have a lot of frogs, they can never keep up with the slug population explosion :- (

Jatnikapyar, I believe that newts favour ponds that are quite overgrown - at least under the surface.

12/09/2012 at 09:46

Thank you FloBear, I shall not clean my little pond ever again and maybe I'll be lucky!

12/09/2012 at 10:43

:- D :- D

22/11/2012 at 09:20

I have a toad in my compost bin, is this ok or will it eat all the worms and things ?

22/11/2012 at 09:34
Chris 42 wrote (see)

I have a toad in my compost bin, is this ok or will it eat all the worms and things ?

It wont eat them all-just a few-leave it alone

22/11/2012 at 09:42

Thanks,just wondered.

27/12/2012 at 14:53

Our pond needs cleaning i think how are you all doing?

28/12/2012 at 14:44

Toads are good for the garden as are frogs,they live out of the pond after mating time and mine live in the garage under shelves e.t.c. .They are lovely to listen to when the mating season starts along with the frogs.Toads walk as frogs hop.

28/12/2012 at 15:38

scooped off dead leaves from pond but no sign of amphibian life just tiny snail

28/12/2012 at 17:05

No amphibians will be visible at this time of year - they're sort of comatose under a rock or a log, or in the mud at the bottom of the pond.  Wait until spring - they'll be back 

28/12/2012 at 18:23

be careful not to disturb to much of the bottom pond life as Dragonfly larvae develop in the bottom (they take 7 years before they become a dragonfly)and most things hibernate in winter.

1 to 20 of 21 messages