London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 3°C
11 messages
30/06/2013 at 22:43

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26542.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

We have two nesting boxes on the house and garage wall. last year they both had blue tits in. This year we noticed some odd behaviour of bumblebees dancing around the entrance to the boxes. I have uploaded a photo. I think they are tree bumblebees, although these are a recent immigrant, starting in the new forest in 2001 and we are north of the Trent.

30/06/2013 at 22:59

Yes, tree bees. It is common for them to use a bird box. I had them under some roof tiles above my front door a few years ago. They will move on and then you will be able to clear out the box for hopefully a different resident next year. Mine moved out toward the end of summer as I recall.

30/06/2013 at 23:54

Tree bumble bees? Not heard of those before. My friend has a nest in her honeysuckle on her house wall. Thought that was odd as thought bumble bees didn't make nests and lived individually in holes in the ground! Are they something new or am I just ignorant lol 

01/07/2013 at 05:47

Yes, they're a new arrival to the UK and are working their way northwards with some alacrity - informative article here http://www.dalswildlifesite.com/treebees.htm 

Looks like they're 'A Good Thing' and will help pollinate early fruit blossom 

Our neighbour appears to have some in his roof space and our garden is full of bees at the moment 

01/07/2013 at 08:08

Yes i am happy to say'  i am leaving the dead heading because of so many bees in

my borders.    But sadly no ladybirds!!

01/07/2013 at 08:14

patty I've hardly seen a ladybird in the last 4 or 5 years. They seem to have disappeared totally up here. Where have they all gone? There's a big concern just now about our bees but are ladybirds the next issue? 

01/07/2013 at 08:15

I've got lots af various bumblies but very few honey bees, usually they're all over the viper's bugloss

01/07/2013 at 11:47

Fairygirl I have seen only 1 ladybird this year. (Essex) Very different from last few years.

01/07/2013 at 14:04

Thanks Dove now i know  Ladybirds are here in Hampshire but just a little late I tghink due to the weather this year. Have seen lots of larvae on plants.

14/07/2013 at 09:04

i have also only seen one lady bird this yr in the early spring ,it was a twp spot,but nothing since.and no honey bees only bumble bees and the i have only just started to see butterflies and they are all the brown ones,nothing else.xx

14/07/2013 at 13:29

I had bees in my Blue Tit box last year, they disappeared over winter, and the Blue Tits were back this Spring.  There are also bees in my Mothers Tit box, they must like it in there. Wont be doing anything about it, after all we need the bees, and they seem very buisy pollenating my tomatoes at the moment.

email image
11 messages