Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

Jean Genie

I've been watching our feathered friends this morning and we seem to have had an influx of sparrows - loads of them. I remember not long ago reading that they were in decline but have noticed there's a lot more about this year. My question being how do you tell if they're tree or house sparrows ? We live near woodland so I would be inclined to think '' tree'' but to be honest I looked in my bird book and they both look pretty similar . Is it just me or does there seem a lot more about ?

Tree Sparrows are smaller than a house sparrow  and both males and females look the same with a chestnut brown head and chest as opposed to a grey one, white cheeks and collar with a black cheek spot. They are shyer than house sparrows and don't like coming near to man or feeding from bird feeders. So if it has a grey head then definitely a house sparrow.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/t/treesparrow/index.aspx

Dovefromabove

You'll be seeing more at this time of year as there will be families of juveniles flocking together.

FloBear

Although in decline you do find places where there are a lot of house sparrows locally. I know two places near here where you can guarantee they'll be racketing about in the bushes yet I rarely see any in my garden. And don't forget Dunnocks which are sometimes called Hedge Sparrows. However they are quieter, mouse-like in the way they move, and often nearer, or on, the ground.

We've had an invasion of sparrows this year. Some new people have moved into a property behind us, and the first thing they did was cut all the trees and bushes down! My guess is that a lot of our new birds are refugees from there. I'm truly annoyed, as it was a beautiful hegde, gave loads of cover for the wildlife, and cut out a lot of the noise from the road. Now it's a desert..except for the trampoline.....

Advertisement

Jean Genie

Thanks for that everyone . Well they're all back this morning - there's some sort of sparrow-fest going on out there . Allymic, had a look on website and think there's a mixture of both .Been out in garden this morning in jim jams with binoculars , ( neighbours will be thinking I've lost the plot ! ) and had a good look at them and they are all in the birch making a racket . FloBear , we do have dunnocks but I recognise them scavenging around on the lawn. Feel really sorry for Tina5 what a good idea - stuff the birds and lets get a trampoline .  Good job they don't live near me - think I may have turned into a night slasher  ! Love my birdies .

Jean, I've started planting a new hedge on my boundary.....escallonia, hawthorn, buddleia, holly, anything I can get my hands on, actually. I will rebuild it! I'm even pondering the odd ..dare I say it?...leylandii. It's a good 80 feet from the nearest building...but something is staying my hand. Maybe I'll just plant a dozen russian vines and let it tumble over their side...

Jean Genie

Hahaha ! Think you mean business - must admit I'ld be thinking along the same lines.Sounds like the start of a plan.

FloBear

Jean, I'm just envious of your tree sparrows ;- )

I also go out in my jim jams with binoculars or camera or whatever equipment seems appropriate!

LORELEI
I cant keep time with the bird feeders at the moment, as soon as I fill them up they are empty again. We have a lot of sparrows here too, also a couple of young robins, so cute.
Jean Genie

Good to know I'm not the only one to go traipsing round the garden in jim jams ! The sparrows are still there shouting their heads off . Doves right - I've spotted some young-uns this morning . I use fat balls and blocks all year round as well as table food and feeders and I think it's the fat balls that's  keeping them interested - also some cheeky chappies and chappesses are scoffing off the table now . One flew off with a rather large sultana this morning ! .