London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
10 messages
01/02/2013 at 20:35

Hi all,i'm new to this forum and will start with an immediate problem that some of you may help with.I have an area of my garden that is a peat bog.I know what you are thinking...lucky me but i want to plant some trees,shrubs and wildflowers down there and don't know where to start.I know if i plant this area i will probably damage the peat bog in the long term.Please advise if anybody can.

Thank you.

01/02/2013 at 20:39
You must be in peat area then ? Do you have clay too? We have peat bogs here. We found under our heavy clay we have peat also. Have you had a look around the area as to what is growing there? I'm not expert but can tell you what grows here.
01/02/2013 at 20:47

Hi Bunnysgarden,the soil around here is a clay/loam mix.Things that are doing well in the area are oak,beech,willow,poplar and hazel.

02/02/2013 at 08:16
Same as here, also Rowan, ash,hazel, elder, dogwoods, laurels, sambucus nigra, kerria, hellebore , potentilla, geranium, oriental poppies, ferns, heavenly blue, lupins, rudbeckia , honeysuckle, clematis Montana and nelly mosa , campanula .
They have all done well in mine. I was surprised when I started planted what did do well even those I expected not to. There are plenty other plants out there. Ge your bed border as good as you can then have a go. Good luck.
02/02/2013 at 09:02
Also silver birch and christmas trees loads here (forests)
02/02/2013 at 09:16
Azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias, pieris,. Lithodora is a lovely blue flowering mound summer long. And what about ferns? I grow a lovely Japanese painted fern, Ursulas Red, that has silvery leaves with red veins. Perfect for bit of shade. Lovely in front of dwarf pieris
02/02/2013 at 13:06

Thank you for your replies.One thing i neglected to mention is that i prefer to garden in a native fashion for the wildlife.So i keep the planting schemes very simple.Sorry about that.A lot of people think i'm boring but i personally feel that the wildlife benefit more.So,any idea's of a native theme would be great.Hope this hasn't put you guy's off!!!

02/02/2013 at 15:11

Is this area literally a bog, i.e. water table permanently at surface? 

02/02/2013 at 17:19
The trees I mentioned are planted here by the forestry commission when the firs have been cleared.
03/02/2013 at 08:44
Joe_the_Gardener wrote (see)

Joe_the_Gardener wrote (see)

Hi,the water comes and goes to suit weather condition's.Just beyond the bottom of my garden is a tiny brook so i guess it is part of a water table?? But the answer to your question is,no, the water is not always present.

email image
10 messages