Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Veggies that are good for senior citizen

Anyone knows how to cook veggies that's good as well as nutritious for senior citizen?

• I agree with Pansyface - as with all people - a good variety of fresh vegetables cooked but not overcooked; and like most people, older people have preferences and others may have found that some veg suit them better than others.

As with all care of the elderly and/or infirm - consult with them and find out what they like and what suits them. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• one that they like is a good start, no good getting them sprouts or cauliflower if they hate them!

just don't overcook them, most veggies need little cooking, so don't boil them into submission!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

the Brits traditionally boiled their veg to death with another half hour to make sure but I think that generation has gone. 

Many years ago when I was a district nurse (that dates it ) I'd visit a couple of patients at 9am and the veg would be on for lunch.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

Variety is th ekey.   If they don't like certain veg on their own or prefer them cooked to a slop rather than steamed and al dente, make vegetable soups - base of onions, carrot and celery with stock then extra carrots, parsnip, squash, sweetcorn, potato, leek, broccoli etc to get the flavour of the day - all soluble vitamins will stay in the soup and it will be easy for them to eat and digest.

Any amount of vegetable soup recipes available on websites such as BBC Food and BBC Good Food and many more.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • hi all   lots of what  all say is right   but for me the garden  for a better way of saying it is that it keeps you alive and keeps you fit nice fresh air wild life have a rest when you want a cuppa put fir on listen to radio2 or classic can not go wrong (we have broccoli/ carrots /toms/sweede in freezer ) as well as some fresh in garden still  as for the idea that there is nothing to do in winter plenty and in green house don't you belive it   ( the veg and fruit is a bonus) and flowers also     Michael

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

And their only post.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  •  hi all again I don't know if that was a rebuke from above  as for a low paid worker I was not on breadline but did not over spend as I did not have it and I was a steel worker for a long time  in 84 inch mill... the reason we have so much left in freezer is the 3 pensioners I used to keep in vedge have passed on  and now I keep 4 houses going with veg    (and yes muddle it was a true and honest answer )  I find now that I am riddled with arthritis like a lot of us older gardeners ))))  we just get on and do our bit  and yes I  I do find that durham is v//nice from living in towns and working in steel  works  and building works  and living on edge of a village is fresher   SORRY IF IT OFFENDS ANY ONE BUT THAT WAS A TRUE ANSWER        so now I will have to have a think about this site  if you want  a true answer  and you don't like  well sorry   Michael  

• B3B3 Posts: 27,480

Michael, I think they were referring to the original post which looks suspiciously like an advert for a care home.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • hi b3 if it dose it was not meant to sound like it I just posted what I felt no to go (((( if that is the case I am sorry for the response       Michael  

• B3B3 Posts: 27,480

That's the trouble with written communication - especially when the edit button doesn't work!

With some dishonourable exceptions, most of us are quite nice.  There's often a bit of teasing and banter especially when we're stuck in the house rather than out playing in the gardenimage

In London. Keen but lazy.