Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Viewing hibernating and breeding animals?

Hi, I'd like to establish a section of the garden for the wildlife and for my children both to enjoy. I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to see the animals that might be using our garden to breed and hibernate without actually disturbing them. All I can think off is using thick red acrylic in places to create a window to the dens that we create. Would this be appropriate? Is there a better way to achieve this? Thanks

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    What animals are you hoping to see? Most animals choose to hibernate and breed as far from humans as possible. Are your children of an age when they will be disappointed if animals don't hibernate in your garden?

Sadly, even if you build dens, there is no guarantee animals will use them.

On the other hand I think you would find it very rewarding if you set up a bird table and in the Spring a web-cam in a bird box, which you can watch in the house.
  • I love having wildlife in the garden but I'm VERY much in the camp of being of the strong opinion that you shouldn't encourage them to be anywhere where there's risk of disturbing them at all and you should teach children that wildlife are to be encouraged, supported, respected but they're not there for entertainment.   So leave well alone.

I have a very large garden and we have a farm and no neighbours for 2 miles in any direction and so we're privileged with wildlife.   I garden and plant and we manage the farm to encourage and support wildlife but we don't pester them and lure them in.   Rather we make sure we don't do anything detrimental.  We do loads to ensure we've a good food chain and we have lots of areas that aren't "over gardened" or too manicured. 

Here's a selection of stuff that wonders through and lives in my garden.

We also have otters in the stream at the bottom of the field in front of the house and red squirrels and I'll try to find some photos of those later..

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

You can't see hedgehogs when they're hibernating - they're snug in layers of dried grass and leaves and mustn't be disturbed  or their hibernation could be at risk of failing and they would die.

It really is best if  children are taught how to observe wildlife from a distance

However, if you and your family want to help hedgehogs, there's lots of information on here http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/help-hedgehogs.html of things that you and your children can do. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Louise BLouise B Posts: 81

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of any kind of animals really that might make their home in my garden, which is quite large and quite rural. Worms, bees, birds, hedgehogs, etc.

I dont think the see from afar thing really works with kids, I doubt it works with most adults either. It's probably the reason much of our wildlife is in decline - out of sight, out of mind.

I was hoping to create some kind of compromise between them eagerly manhandling any animals they can get their hands on and the creatures being as tangible as Santa Claus. They need to see the fruits of their labour, even if it's juse a rare glimpse, because that is what will fuel a lifelong appreciation I think.

We put out food for hedgehogs every summer evening and enjoy sitting out and watching them - staying up late occasionally to watch hedgehogs will surely be fine image  Also learning to recognise hedgehog poo left on the lawn as a clue in the morning that they've been about.

Keeping a hedgehog diary might be fun - and then make sure there's lots of dry leaves left in the garden for the hedgehogs to build a hibernaculum, and recording when they were last active in the garden in the autumn, and watching out for the first signs of activity in the spring - won't that make them real enough?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Forgot to recommend you buy the children magnifying glasses. And perhaps you could buy a bat detector.

I'd start with a wildlife pond image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Pond dipping is always good especially if you get frog spawn!

I have a bird box with a day / night camera and audio. Never had anything in it yet but I live in hope! Still I have the robin who comes almost everytime I open my shed as he knows where the seed is kept and will follow me around til he gets something!

I think one of the most important skills a child can learn is how to sit still quietly and watch - it's then that things start to become interesting image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Without trying very hard we've a hedgehog, newts, frogs, water bugs in the pond, lots of different birds, and of course lots of bees and butterflies which are amazing to watch.

(And of course all the bugs and slugs that hide under rocks).

Non of my garden is "wildlife garden" its just a garden growing aware of wildlife so, for instance, I make a conscience effort to plant flowers bees love, cut the grass on a higher setting than my neighbours would do, make sure the pond can be accessed by birds wanting a drink and a bath...