Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wasps - such useful creatures

We know that wasps help us in many ways, including preying on insect pests, but they can be useful in other ways too ............

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/suspected-thief-stung-by-wasps-attempting-to-hide-from-police-in-bush-9665123.html 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

image too!

I was stung by a bee t'other day - a friend was inspecting one of her hives and I was too close....

There once was a man from Dundee

Who was stung on the arm by a wasp

When asked "does it hurt?"

He replied "No it doesn't

I'm so glad it wasn't a hornet."

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I love that Steve imageimageimage

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

imageimageimage

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Whatever they do you will never convince hubby that they are anyting other than evil.

So far in our marriage

I have had the garden spade thrown at me (blind panic when a wasp flew past his ear)

Been abandoned in the passanger seat in slow moving traffic in the fast lane of the M5 (bee in car)

Returned from shopping to find hubby had shut himself in the cupboard under the stairs (wasp in kitchen).

Regularly had meals outside abandoned as hubby grabs his plate, runs inside and shuts the french windows.

Had to put up with a section of the house not painted (too many wasps and bees on the bush)

It drives mad

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

Wasp trap:  Empty jam jar, not washed out but half filled with water.  Place 10 yards away from picnic site.  Wasps attracted by jam fall in and drown.  Add a drop of detergent to speed the process if desired.  Empty and wash out jar before re-use.

However helpful they may be, at this time of year when they've finished raising their young they go out on the razz and are a real pain.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I rescued one out of the canal the other day image

One of the frogs in our pond tried to eat one the other day - he spat it out looking a bit aggrieved and the wasp crawled away looking a bit dishevelled image

Tenuous connection with wasps (via the preceding limerick) but if you liked that one ....

There once was a man from Dunoon

Who used to eat soup with a fork

For he said, "As I eat

Neither fish, fowl nor flesh,

I should finish my dinner too quick."