Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

water feature

any ideas on a natural water feature for my small garden id love a pond but realistically i just dont have the room sadly

• Did you have any luck with your water feature? I am in the same position and was wondering if you had come up with a solution?

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I have bought -from a flea market- a galvanised bath and made it into a water feature. I may buy a small solar floating fountain to go in it. At the moment ir has a pygmy water lily and some oxygen weed, waitng for more plants later on. This is useful:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/creative-projects/how-to-make-a-mini-pond/251.html

My bath is almost identical and is already attracting birds.

• Is it best in the sun or shade? Looks good. I have belfast sinks im looking to use
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I guess you can put it wherever you have room, mine is underneath a pergola type thing. It is all new so i think when climbers have matured it will be part shaded.

Therre is a picture of it on thread 'Newfence has ruined my garden'. Not a godd photo but gives an idea image

• weejennyweejenny Posts: 386

hi Sam and Rosa I've not come up with anything yet but I must say I like the bath and lucky for me I do have one image

• We have a Belfast sink too, I was going to plant it up with "something" image but have recently been wondering about turning it into some sort of pond. I was advised at a local nursery that solar powered pumps are useless up here.

I thought that your garden was big, Weejenny? Lots of space up there in the hillsimage.

• hi all.here is a pondless waterfall that i built in my back yard.it can be made as small as you want  jack   

• Do you have a pic? image

• hi, 

• Thats lovely! image How does that work with no pond?