London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 37 messages
21/08/2013 at 15:09

As I said above, I am thinking of adding a (very) small pond in my garden.....my question is......how on earth do frogs, toads etc find it?   I live in a town on the east coast of Scotland and unless the wildlife can read google maps, I cannot see how they'll know it's there!     I've heard the expression "If you build it, they will come" ....really ??  Will I have to import frog spawn from somewhere else?   Also, what is the smallest pond I'll need if I want frogs etc?  

Probably more questions will follow.

21/08/2013 at 15:22

I wish I could help but unfortunately I can't. All I do know is that my other half was out mowing the grass last weekend and found a baby toad, all on its lonesome, just sitting curled up in the grass and we don't even have a water feature much less a pond or any other body of water (puddles don't count!). So I'm guessing they'll find their way to you somehow or another, I mean if they'll come to my waterless garden I'm sure they'll find their way to a pond. Perhaps they have an inbuilt satnav?!  Hope you figure it all out.

21/08/2013 at 15:33

I think that their porous skins can sense the presence of water nearby.

21/08/2013 at 15:37

There is a guide on GW to show you how to build a small pond. A video also I think. I am also going to build a small pond when I find the right old sink/trough. I've been looking for what I want for a long time but old troughs are so expensive. I don't want to sink one into my garden as I don't have a shaded area where the grass is. So I want to have one on a couple of bricks with a ramp for the frogs to get in. I will use builder's sand, upturned plant pots and slabs of something to give them places to hide. A ouple of plants too. Really wish I could find something appropriate to build it with. I don't want to use a plastic container.

21/08/2013 at 16:46

Haisie - have you tried your local freegle or free cycle ?  You could put in a"wanted" ad. You never know.  I went to our local "Steptoes"  yard and he had an old metal hip bath and a big round metal bowl.....lying open to the elements (and had been for some time) and he wanted £50!  Each !    I'm just gonna dig a hole and line it.  You could do the same with a small wall to make the edge higher and include your ramp. 

21/08/2013 at 16:59

Little weeeed, thank you for the suggestion that I should put an ad in freegle r free cycle things - great idea. I've been looking for so long now and I got the jist that 'old' things come at a huge price. It seems really trendy to use old things and they do come at a price. I looked on a website at a reclamation yard thing near me in Lancashire and they had what I wanted - an old stone trough, only small, and it was a whooping £300! Some went up to £3000! I think I'll eventually drag a stone kerb home and use my nail-file to chisel it out...

21/08/2013 at 17:02

Oh and I don't think that I can put one in my garden as advice says it should be shady, not overlooked by trees as leaves fall into it. I just don't seem to have the right spot to dig. I have a north facing back garden but in summer the sun creeps to about 4 ft away from the house My plan was to put it next to my fence in the shaded bit...

21/08/2013 at 17:36

Since it will only be a small pond, you can always go out regularly with a small net and fish the leaves out. Also, don't forget to put a small ramp inside the pond, so that any other creatures (hedgehogs etc.) that climb up the outside one and fall in, can get back out again!

21/08/2013 at 18:12

Thanks Swiss Sue - that's what the upturned slabs will be for too, to give them something to get out of - all instructions are on here somewhere! A net is a good idea, although just not possible in my garden as it is north facing and clay soil it gets swamped in winter and not too goo to walk across - will stay with my idea of putting it near the house - only option I have in my garden.

21/08/2013 at 22:28

We made a very small pond in our last garden (in a plastic dustbin sunk into the ground).  It had a small water lily and some oxygenating plants in it and we made a way for animals and amphibians to get in and out of the water.  Within within a very few weeks we found a frog sunbathing at the edge of the pond half in and half out of the water.  The garden was in the middle of a large area of small victorian terraces mainly with walled gardens and concrete back yards, right in the city centre.

Frogs will find your pond, don't you worry 

22/08/2013 at 08:33

Thanks everyone. I hope to have the pond ready for spring.  I will wait in hopes for hopping visitors

23/08/2013 at 15:31

We have just finished planting our new pond. I know we won't be seeing frogs until early next year,if at all. But the variety of pondlife is fantastic to say the water has been in for only 3 weeks and just we've finished adding plants and weed.We have  seen (from my limited knowledge of pondlife names) Water boatmen, diving beetles, pond skaters, a large emerald green dragon fly and a couple of pairs of mating damsel flies. As well as midge larvae and some small black beetles I have trouble seeing even with my glasses on. The larger pebbles at the edge seem well liked by the wasps. I didn't realise they liked the water so much, but if I put an apple or pear nearby it keeps them busy and out of the kitchen!  So fingers crossed for frogs but even if they  don't appear it is already a great place to sit and watch the insect life.

28/08/2013 at 15:59

I think I might give this a go

28/08/2013 at 16:03

really awesome idea

28/08/2013 at 16:56

Gillian53, have you got a pic of it, please? I am still no-where near doing this. I think it may have to wait until next spring now for me. I'm still huffing about the place and am now running out of time.

30/08/2013 at 10:30

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30224.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

My little wildlife pond needs some thinning out, under all those seedlings at front are a bed of pebbles and the stones ar starting to fall in

30/08/2013 at 19:30
Haisie wrote (see)

Oh and I don't think that I can put one in my garden as advice says it should be shady, not overlooked by trees as leaves fall into it. I just don't seem to have the right spot to dig. I have a north facing back garden but in summer the sun creeps to about 4 ft away from the house My plan was to put it next to my fence in the shaded bit...

We have a small pond in full sun and it does really well, just fantastic for wildlife, we see more birds on here than we do on the bird table, and the frogs, they're are just fantastic, love to hear them croaking at night time in the spring, great to watch the tadpoles, and this time of year when weeding round the pond, everytime you move the foliagae a miniture frog pops out.

The frogs arrived the first spring, don't know how because we are no where near water.

And no, that is not a strange looking frog on the top, it's the wife

http://www.corbetteer.co.uk/public/images/pond_7996.jpg

In fact a pond is so fantastic we are planning a bigger one for the back garden

30/08/2013 at 19:45

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30270.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

This is a picture of the wildlife pond I dug a few years ago. Needs some taming this autumn. We love it. It's full of frogs, toads, newts, so many insects etc. My tip would be to go as large as you can because as soon as you fill it with water and plant it up - it shrinks!!

30/08/2013 at 22:05

Daintiness, I hope when mine's established it looks like yours.  I like the overgrown look. This week, I have seen a few different wrigglers which appear to be damsel fly larvae, although I am no expert. There were two mating on my hollyhock today but just too quick to get a pic. I can't believe just how quickly the pond has been colonised by so many insects. There was a single frog yesterday but he must have been passing through as he certainly wasn't born here.

I have noticed that some of my pond weed (elodea crispa?) has started to look slightly 'beige'. I pulled some out and it appears to be covered in limescale (similar to the bits in a kettle) which easily crumbles off. Any ideas. Pond's clear as a whistle. I am going to remove the elodea though when a supply of native weed arrives.

There was a single, small frog the other day which must have have just been passing through.

31/08/2013 at 15:17

My pond is beneath mature trees in my garden.  It's quite 'open' - there is about 10ft between pond and trees, and it gets early morning sun.   The shade is great, i dont get algae or blanket weed as a result, and in the autumn i put a net over to catch the bulk of the falling leaves.....   So.. Dont be put off by trees.. ..  and the area around beneath the tres is perfect for frogs to hide..

1 to 20 of 37 messages