Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What is this?

Hi there,

I was transplanting a shrub and I found this burried down in the roots. So took a picture and then burried it back where I found it. Minus the shrub of course!

It moved, its a pupa of some sort. But of what? Anyone know?

• RobotRobot Posts: 137

I think I can safely say without fear of contraception that it is the pupae of the Noctuid Moth.  I call the catterpillars cut worms or b***ards - depending what mood I'm in.  When you go out in the garden and see something has cut the stems of your plants like a pair of scissors, then that's the fella responsible.

I could be wrong and I'll put my hands up if I am.  It is a very large species and the moth could be anything of numerous patterns or colours and then it will take it's chances with the bats.

I was trying to give you a link to lots of photos but for some reason the system is malfunctioning.  Just Google Noctuid Moth Images and you should get some good pictures.

• gardengirl6gardengirl6 Posts: 223

A Chrysalis of some sort, but I wouldn't know if it is a butterfly or moth.   I often come across them, and just put them back where I find them.   

• Gracie5Gracie5 Posts: 125

Links don't seem to be working on here. But it is definitely a moth, very similar to the Buff Ermine moth. Very beautiful and so glad you don't destroy them.

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Ahh man! I've been looking at these little things for the past few weeks and not disturbing them, whilst all around I see Verbena flower stems severed off and wondering who's to blame. image

They will be disappearing to the big (council) garden in the sky tomorrow.

• Des4545Des4545 Posts: 5

I found these yesterday. Is this what the pupa turns into? they are very big, and quite pretty.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/gallery/880/the_main_families_of_larger_moths.html

You might find something like it here - I'm so glad you didn't kill the pupa.  Apart from any other reasons, moths are pollinating insects too you know.

And moths, as well as butterflies, are becoming more and more scarce image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Des4545Des4545 Posts: 5

i found a batch of eggs, and thanks to the website offered above (thanks) i found out they are common hawk moths, the eggs are now inside, in a container.

thought i would have a go at hand rearing, then the catipilars are not in my garden and when the pupa is ready to go will realease the moths. will keep you guys updated!