Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What to top bug hotel with

Just after a few ideas what to top my bug hotel off with,any ideas please,

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

How big is it?  Mine is made from 5 pallets laid on top of each other.  

I then built a shallow frame round the top, lined it with weed suppressant fabric and filled it with compost into which I have planted house leeks and other stuff with flowers for insects and mulched all of that with small grit and some upturned seashells that hold water for them to drink.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thanks obelixx,you got a cracking hotel there.

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

We went for logs and twigs on ours.

I do like obelixx's bug'garden roof though image

• Got logs twigs,and now just built,a wooden box on top ready to plant,thanks gemma.

Don't forget to post up a picture when it is done image

• T CT C Posts: 30

I only have a small garden, So won't really have much of a hotel, more a squat.

But what kind of material, structure do different insects have? Or is it just what you get is what you get. 

You can actually provide just the right things to encourage the species you want.

A short list is

2 liter plastic drinks bottles with the ends cut off, stuffed with corrugated cardboard - lacewings

Upturned flower pots stuffed with straw -earwigs

Cut garden canes in bundles - solitary bees

More ideas here:

http://www.bbcwildlife.org.uk/sites/birmingham.live.wt.precedenthost.co.uk/files/Insect%20Hotel.pdf

• angie4angie4 Posts: 44

I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually seen insects using their bug hotel. I was going to build one in my garden, been saving up pallets and everything, but a scientist bod gave a talk at our gardening club last week and he said theyre a waste of time; there's so many places in gardens and the wider countryside for bugs to find shelter, bug hotels aren't necessary. Likewise, I've always kept a patch of nettles in my garden for butterflies to lay their eggs on, but Mr scientist bod said they've done trials on this and butterflies just don't use garden nettles, preferring to use the ones in the wild. Come to think of it, I've inspected my nettles every year and have never seen any butterfly eggs. Sigh. Guess I'll just dig them up and plant some Cerinthe major instead, the bees LOVE those little blue bells!

• angie4angie4 Posts: 44

Well, Edd, the geezer is a recognised expert on weeds (I have a new-found respect for the little blighters now, they are so clever at sensing when conditions are ideal for procreating). Have you had success with nettles for butterflies, or a bug hotel? I'd still like to build one, but only if it's likely to have guests staying!