London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
4 messages
18/08/2013 at 19:50

Hello All

This is my first post here - I hope someone can help me!

I have created a modest grass/wildflower meadow (more grass than flower!) in my back garden.  It's now fallen flat and if I try to revive it it's a bit smelly and damp, and the grass underneath is yellowing and dying. 

I know it needs to be mown, but I'm concerned about the wildlife in there - butterflies and other insects may have laid their eggs there, etc.  What do I do - just chop it down or wait until next spring when the insects will have hatched?

Please help!

Sean

18/08/2013 at 19:53

We normally mow ours about now, and then leave the clippings on the ground for a couple of days for things to crawl out - then rake it all up and compost it.

18/08/2013 at 19:57

it needs doing when seed has ripened Sean. A lot of mine has fallen flat this year, we've mown some of the worst bits and will do the rest next month. Most insects will have hatched by then. The caterpillars will have pupated, lots of insect larvae are aquatic. not sure what the grasshoppers do but we have thousands so they must be OK with what we do each year

18/08/2013 at 20:05

Thank you chicky and nutcutlet - both really helpful pieces of advice.  I'll strim first then mow right down, but first I'll "aggravate" the grasses, just so that any flying creatures can escape!  Thanks for taking the time to help me out, much appreciated.

email image
4 messages