London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
6 messages
23/07/2013 at 14:52

out riding the Mendip hills in the lovely summer sun.(It is breezy up here on blackdown).The bracken has now grown and is hiding the path to top and in between the wild flowers grow.As we reach the top the Exmoor ponies are all standing on the trig(.to get the breeze I guess).we ride the what is normally a boggy path in winter across the top and I see drifts of white cotton ,bog grass,not normally noticable and indeed as the poem says...beware.For here in winter it is very deep pools of mud and you can not cross it,even now you can not as its very rutty,but it looks so beautifull drifting across moorland and in the distance you see Brent knoll an old volcanic hill standing out in bridgewater flats.

23/07/2013 at 15:02

Oh! the cotton grass on the moors outside Sheffield has been absolutely spectacular this year. In all my life I have never seen it so white and in such profusion. It just took my breath away last month when I rounded the hill and there it was stretched out for mile after mile in front of me. 

With local names for the areas of moorland such as Lost Lad and Foul Hole it would be a very silly person who went wandering off alone up there.

23/07/2013 at 16:25

Hi waterbutts. I said to OH a few weeks ago that I had never seen so much cotton grass as this year. I live just below Blacka Moor on South western side of Sheffield

23/07/2013 at 16:35

Oh you lucky lady, flower girl, how I wish I could join you on that ride, it must be exhilarating!

23/07/2013 at 16:36

It's a well-kept secret how beautiful South Yorks can be. As they always said, even in its filthiest times, Sheffield is a marvellous place to get out of.

24/07/2013 at 13:33

It is always full of surprises and you see alot of wild plants and animals which sometimes you miss on foot but I have to say the cotton grass was really wonderful.

email image
6 messages