Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 286 replies

It's been snowing every day off and on so I put out one of my bird feeds a couple days ago. Usually I have four set up in the winter plus I toss seeds up into the Colorado Blue Spruce trees in my front yard. Sunday morning I heard the usual fuss from the Sparrows and Chickadees when they spot me in the winter and want seed. So I walked over to the Co-op and bought a bag for them.

Yesterday afternoon I spotted a lone Junco among the Sparrows picking seed up from under the feeder. They are an interesting bird. Sparrow sized, they only pick off the ground and they are usually not seen around after Christmas.

So I have the Sparrows, Chickadees and Juncos so far. Magpies always come around to see if they can score some cat food I leave out for a stray tom cat.

It's early yet, once winter sets in my yard gets very busy with different species stopping in for a meal, and the big old jack rabbits make rabbit trails through, when the snow is real deep and seeds get them through.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birding/dark-eyed-junco/

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birding/black-capped-chickadee/

I think most of us would see other species Johnny as this is a UK based site - a few in Europe but rarely from the US.

Sounds like you have some busy feeder posts tho the mention of snow isn't likely to make most of us here feel too good - we're just coping with the onset of Autumn

pansyface

COLDER TODAY, I THOUGHT...

We have a name here for fellow Canadians that head south of the 49th during the winter, to warmer spots like Florida and Arizona. We call them Snowbirds.

The Love Bird won't be any keener on the snow than the rest of us

Forget the cat - they don't get on together - pics like these make some people think otherwise

Advertisement

Shrinking Violet

Relatives in Winnepeg head for warmer climes in the worst of their winter - which makes the occasional snow shower we have totally insignificant!

Re the bird feeders:  a veritable Charm of Goldfinches the other day:  I counted 38!  We know that a couple of broods have been raised (they descend on the Niger Seed feeder and the Sunflower hearts mob handed) but I have never, ever counted so many at any one time!  Naturally, they all shy away when the RSPB are doing their bird count.

A neighbour complained that he doesn't see too many birds in his back garden;  that would be because we are providing all the delicacies that they want, I assume.  Costs a fortune.  But worth every penny!

38 Goldfinches Shrinking Violet - wow, that must have been a lovely sight. We had two the first year, 7 or 8 last year and 14 this year at one sitting on the Niger Seed feeders (2).  I love them and their squabbling sounds as they fight over the little perches on the feeders.  At this rate I should have over 20 next year if they keep still long enough to be counted. I don't know where they nest, but it isn't in our garden.

Shrinking Violet

Lots of them were on the ground, busily hoovering up the spilt seed from their over-enthusiastic peer group!  They haven't returned in such numbers:  perhaps they were just trying our café out for size, and have found another provider

Those are smart looking birds, beautiful.

Shrinking Violet,

Yes, Winnipeg get's a long cold winter, one of my brothers always calls it Winterpeg. They don't even get the warm relief of the Chinook wind.

A couple of little Chickadees busy filling up while I was killing tomato plants in the GH.

pansyface

YOUR CHICKADEES LOOK REMARKABLY SIMILAR TO OUR COAL TITS.

They sure do. Are yours brave little things? I have to watch my step sometimes for fear of stepping on them, they will land on you and eat from your hand sometimes.

pansyface

NO, NOT PARTICULARLY FEARLESS. THAT PRIZE GENERALLY GOES TO ROBINS OVER HERE. BUT OUR ROBINS ARE NOT THE SAME ROBIN AS YOUR ROBINS.

Chickadees are in the 'tit' family, Poecile, so I guess they're very similar to our little coal tits, Pansy.  The British ones are really shy, though.

Advertisement

I wasn't watching where I was going yesterday but thankfully just missed stepping on a little chickadee. The little bird didn't move away, just stood there looking up at me like, hey, I was here first. I made it over to Costco to get the good bird seed, a great mix of seeds and nuts for all types of birds and other critters. AND very cheap price for such a large amount of feed. Buying seed at a grocery store is just crazy, but at times I have to. Co-op and Safeway charge three times more than Costco for a poorer seed mix.

Can't believe they're so tame, Johnny!  Definitely not like our coal, blue and great tits!  Glad you didn't step on him!

We also stock up on Costco birdseed and peanuts, they're good value and good quality too.  We keep ours stored in galvanised bins in the pantry to discourage mice!  Mind you our 6 cats do that!

Fairygirl

They're lovely Johnny. Could almost be one of the long tailed tits we have here. 

I have lots of coal tits visiting, and they feel secure enough to sit inside the cage and eat, instead of grabbing food and flitting off to a nearby  tree or shrub. The blue and great tits are in on a regular basis now that the weather's colder, and the robin and dunnocks are never far away. 

Shrinking Violet

"My" robin sits in the tree and warbles to his heart's content - staking claim to his territory ie our garden, and feeders copiously provided with much-relished mealworms! (And, boy! does he complain if I'm not digging the soil quickly enough for him to pounce on the worms etc that are turned up!)

Coal tits are frequent visitors (along with blue and great-tits) but are rarely shy.  The Long-tailed tits visit as and when the fancy takes them, swooping down mob-handed, chattering excitedly, and then moving on for the next few days/weeks.

We've had blackbirds, but no thrushes thus far.  But we've been here just under a year, and we are just loving encouraging the birds to our feeders.

Muddle-Up,

That's where I went wrong. I used a big plastic bin for the seed and spent last winter running out of the house to chase the squirrels off it. They pretty much chewed the lid off the bin.

Yesterday I hung another feeder out and it wasn't long until a Blue Jay showed up. Of course I didn't have my camera.

A good video of an Alberta Blue Jay at bath time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgv4ySavv-U