London (change)
Today 12°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 12°C
19 messages
25/01/2013 at 13:42

In all the years I have been gardening and feeding birds this is the first year that the blackbirds have decided to dig up everything in sight.  The garden looks a complete mess after a couple of days, bark mulch all over the paths, bulbs and plants dug up and left laying around, it's a constant battle putting it all back and very cold too.  Has anyone else experienced this.  It has always happened but not to the extent of this year. I love the birds to bits but they are trying my patience this winter.

25/01/2013 at 14:10

Jobird, we love the blackbirds but have always referred to the as "The Hooligans".  This tossing around of bark mulch whilst searching for food sounds like normal behaviour to me.  Got to say they've never dug bulbs up - the squirrel usually sees to that .  

25/01/2013 at 14:12

Just saving you a job

25/01/2013 at 15:15

Your soil must be easier digging than I'm used to Jobird. The blackbirds sling mulches  but the bulbs are in some pretty solid soil

25/01/2013 at 16:55

They are just looking for something tasty to eat,annoying but that's the joy of wildlife,and they will eat all those pesky snails and slugs.

26/01/2013 at 07:55

I have to say, I kept finding several bulbs and flowers damaged in the way. I eventually found out that it was squirels who were looking for food and random acorns they had buried earlier in the season, 2 of my large planters had to be re-done. Maybe if you are able to put some food out that they like they might stop searching for their natural food.

26/01/2013 at 08:17

I feed the birds and put out plenty of sultanas, chopped apple and oats for the blackbirds, but I can't provide what's best for them - worms - they have to find those themselves, and they do.  

I love to watch the blackbirds rootling around in my borders for worms - it means my soil must be in pretty good heart.  After all, sweeping some bark mulch back off the path every few days isn't really that onerous is it?  Far better than starving birds IMHO.

As for digging up plants and bulbs  unless  your bulbs are planted far too shallowly, or you've seen a blackbird with a trowel under his wing, it's unlikely to be them - far more likely to be pesky grey squirrels - plant your bulbs deep and in  'bags' made of small mesh chicken wire' - that'll stop the little blighters.

13/02/2013 at 23:00

My blackbirds dig through my compost bins & they can fairly shift a sizable amount in a short time!!  They love snacking on my worms.  Pity they didn't like the slugs so much.  The birds did a rubbish job on them last year.  If humans ate them I could have raised 3 sets of triplets out of my garden alone!

14/04/2015 at 18:49
I have the same issue, At first I thought it was a cat as it was always a specific area of the border. After months of frustration and hazarding guesses I caught the blackbird digging and flicking the mulch all over the patio one morning in the exact places. I know it's frustrating but it is nature and unfortunately as others have said I love birds and although it's stressful sweaping the mulch back onto the border and recovering exposed plant roots put yourself in the animals position they have got to eat.
14/04/2015 at 18:51

That's a good attitude you have there David

14/04/2015 at 20:13

Jobird......maybe it's because you left your spade out 

14/04/2015 at 20:34

my bird feeders are hung on a dead maple  that i planted in a pot many years ago sadly it died on me last year,  so i trimmed the branches and now  its my bird feeding station, it has a slate mulch and the blackbirds constantly chuck it on the ground.

14/04/2015 at 21:25

I would say we have a wildlife garden rather than a flower garden.....Mice and Squirrels dug up the Crocuses and Grape Hyacinths......Rabbits bit all the heads off my Tulips and spat them on the ground.....Blackbirds scattered mulch everywhere....Moles made hills and holes in the lawn....and Sparrows pecked the heads off my Primroses....not to mention the slugs and snails. But how we love them all ! W e don't have all that  many flowers though !

18/04/2015 at 05:54

Annoying as it is I'd take it as a compliment. The blackbirds have steadily become more interested as we've improved our soil.

06/06/2015 at 09:01

I've got a similar problem. I have watched the blackbirds do it, not squirrels, but in my case all the blue lobelia bedding plants are sought out and then pulled from the bed and dumped on the grass or pathway. No other plant is touched. These are replanted when seen and within 24 hours are out again. I am going to lose in the region of 60 plants. Sadly I'm not finding this an "ah is that nice" situation.

10/10/2015 at 18:26

I also have the dreaded 'blackbird problem'. I am sick and tired of going outside to re-arrange my bark chips, after the blackbirds seem to be enjoying a competition to see which one of them can sling it the furthest. Strangely, my neighbour next door has bright orange bark chips in his borders and the blackbirds never touch those! There's never a chip out of place. I like gardens to look as natural as possible and chose 'normal' chips, rather than radio active orange ones, but perhaps my neighbour knew what he was doing when he bought his! Lesson learned - don't put bark chips in your borders!

10/10/2015 at 18:35

Look at it from another point of view..........if you go to the ever increasing Sales, what do you do ?  Rummage about to find the best bargain whilst tossing aside the rubbish. That's what the birds are doing

10/10/2015 at 18:49

Would rather have every manner of bird than a tidy garden any day. Just think how many pests you don't see that they've removed - they don't use energy up for nothing 

10/10/2015 at 19:31

I'd pay to have more blackbirds in the garden. They're not as forthcoming as I'd like, despite having plenty of suitable areas for them - especially a nice border to rummage in - with a bark mulch! At a previous garden, they used to make me laugh, hoiking the bark out to find all sorts of tasty morsels and snaffling the berries from the pyracantha near the front door 

email image
19 messages