Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wierd spider ID

Never seen one like this before...any ideas?

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Think it's a garden spider MrsG though looks a rounder shape. I saw one dangling off my sweet peas a few days ago and looked it up.  It's the markings I noticed.

• Yes, garden spider. I call them autumn spidersimage

Wearside, England.
  • It looks like a beautifully marked Garden orb spider - araneus diadematus

http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspiders/araneusdiadematus.htm

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Thanks guys, just had a look at the link Dove. image 

• Today I noticed something unusual happening in my greenhouse...a small slug was venturing onto an orb spiders web. By the time I'd returned with my camera, most of the slug had 'disappeared' inside the spider! [sadly photo upload not working...!]

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Eeurghhh! Toes curling, I'm getting a bit better with spiders but really not a fan of any creepy crawlers, wish I was

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

This is peak time of year for Garden Spiders isn't it. I've got two webs just above my back door image

• I have lots of them in my garden and they like to build webs right at face level over the steps up from my front door (basement flat) always have arm out in front of me when exiting. I find them quite fascinating. I also have hordes of Harvestmen scuttling around.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

I walked into a spiders web yesterday - yuk!!!

I happened to see this little crab spider with its prey image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Super photo Lilylouiseimage.  When I take the dog out in the morning I always walk with my arms in front of me when we go through the woods.  I still imagine tiny spiders are in my hair when I get backimage