London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 57 messages
01/07/2014 at 18:25
Today I was very pleased to see a bee going repeatedly onto my wild flowers which I grew especially for the bees this year. At first I was extremely disapointed to see that the flowers opened and nothing had arrived but today there was finally a visiting bee. It is very good to think that after raising the plants from seed they are being appreciated by nature.
01/07/2014 at 18:33

That's very satisfying WG. I'm sure more will turn up soon. Along with the butterflies.

Today for the first time in years I saw small tortoiseshell investigating the nettles.

They're along our boundary and  so much at risk from the farmer and his killing sprays

01/07/2014 at 18:34

I know what you mean. I only plant bee flowers, mainly to feed our own honeybees. Do I see them - nope! However, I did not expect the wonderful range of other insects  though - bumbles, solitary bees, hoverflies and so on. Our girls are plain ungrateful!

01/07/2014 at 18:44
At least we can be happy that, even if it is not what we expected or hoped would come, we are helping out another type of wildlife.
01/07/2014 at 18:51

Oh yes. They do as they please,  we can't influence them.

I'm happy with what turns up

01/07/2014 at 18:52

I have some wildflowers growing in pots and the bees rarely visit them. They seem to prefer my Lavender and single Dahlias.

P.S. Friends of the Earth are doing a 'bee count' if you fancy taking part - http://www.greatbritishbeecount.co.uk/seen-a-bee.php

01/07/2014 at 19:06

I'm more than happy with whatever turns up...........pond and wildflower patch have attracted immense numbers this year .......well, I suppose if I'm honest, most of the garden is a wildflower patch but I enjoy watching everything

01/07/2014 at 19:11

I saw a bee on my sweet peas the other day which surprised me- I didn't think they were bee friendly...

I find the bees prefer the cultivated flowers to the wild too- unless I have the wrong kind of wild flowers...oh apart from clover, they love that.

Also saw what I think was a meadow brown in the garden for the first time - it settled on the buddleia for 2 seconds but maybe the flowers weren't open properly because it kept returning to the bellflowers. Don't have any grass for it though...

01/07/2014 at 19:14

It's the larvae that need specific food plants.

Nectar gatherers like anything with a good supply of nectar

01/07/2014 at 20:13

I have noticed a there are a lot less bees in my garden this year. My pyracantha was covered in flowers and last year was covered in bees and this year nothing! All my plants are bee and butterfly friendly, but there is a distinct lack of buzzing going on. Has anyone else noticed this. I am in the south and wondering if the stormy winter rain has anything to do with it. Or am I worrying to much?

01/07/2014 at 20:40

You're not worrying too much MM

We should all worry a bit more and make a big effort to encourage the insects and reduce the insecticides

01/07/2014 at 21:59
nutcutlet wrote (see)

It's the larvae that need specific food plants.

Nectar gatherers like anything with a good supply of nectar

Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear- I was thinking egg laying. There must be somewhere nearabouts though as it has obviously come from somewhere.

Also found a nice brimstone moth in my compost bag recently.

01/07/2014 at 22:18

Hi Victoria, I was thinking there's always grasses somewhere but I've never lived in a city and maybe they're not everywhere there.

Hawthorn and blackthorn for the Brimstone moth larvae 

We've  got a moth trap running I'm hoping for large numbers and lots of species.

Edd
01/07/2014 at 22:39

Nice sentiment Nut.

nutcutlet wrote (see)

We should all worry a bit more and make a big effort to encourage the insects and reduce the insecticides

Even if i have to bite my lip to pay the bills sometimes.

Regards

Edd.

03/07/2014 at 17:53

Yes I have seen less bees also I have never seen less ladybirds as I have this year, I have plenty of hover flies though.

Peter

03/07/2014 at 18:09

Glad to hear some are seeing bees alive and well..I myself have seen an alarming amount of dead bees, both in garden and walking. They seem to be just dropping everywhere. Unfortunately many folk in this area spray their lawns with weedkiller or similar. Haven't seen many bumbles either this year compared to others

03/07/2014 at 18:11

Plenty of ladybirds here but fewer bees than there should be.

03/07/2014 at 18:13

Our cottoneaster used to be alive with bees of many varieties and sized but this spring  just a handful.

They do seem to love the lanaria in our garden!

03/07/2014 at 18:13

We have a colony of Bumble Bees!

Started planting wild flowers and other plants attractive to various bees about 3 years ago. A big difference in thye variety of bees and other insects not quite so welcome.

About 3 months ago I noticed a lot of activity around 1 of the nest boxes on our garage.  A bit apprehensive at first as there have been wasps in there 2 years ago. Once they were identified as White Tailed Bumble Bees [Tree Bees],we tried to relax and pretend they were not there when going under the group of bees hovering overhead! Gradually 1 lot grew into big bees and were replaced by small bees. These then grew and dispersed into my garden and the wider bee-world! 

They are or there are......bumble bees in the garden enjoying the abundence of nectar. They do occasionally dive-bomb you or perhaps just bump into you  whilst  flying from flower to flower. Rarely are there any bees around the nest box now so do not know if the Queen is still in residence.  

I hoped to have guidance from the British Bee Association but the 2 people I spoke were rather abrupt and should NOT have been on the BBA list of people to telephone for advice! I was also lucky to find a friendly `Pest Control` man who told me what they were and what would happen next......very grateful for that info.

03/07/2014 at 18:14

I ave noticed that there are fewer bees in my garden, my wall which has trellis, has honeysuckle, small open roses which have masses of flowers, jasmin, clemitis all in flower it should be buzzing but this year there are fewer bees around, the same can be said for butterflies. 

1 to 20 of 57 messages