London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
10/12/2013 at 17:25

When the council turned up yesterday to do a bit of tree maintenance in the next door garden, I thought yay a bit more sunlight for us.  When I woke this morning I was pleased to see they'd left a lot of the undergrowth and done a good job clearing some scruffy branches and some ivy. Imagine my horror when I came home early today to see ALL the undergrowth cleared, ALL the ivy gone, ALL the hawthorn, holly and elder, ALL gone!!

Instead of a wild woolly woody wildlife friendly next door garden, it is now barren and stripped bare bar a few big old trees

The bluetits have no ivy to hide in (I've been watching them on my feeders to see where they go), the doves are depressed, the squirrels are bemused and the rest of the birds seem quite bewildered. No sign of any tits today on the feeders, coal, blue or great. A dawn chorus that drowned out the A14 rumble this morning, I've not heard it like that before, and nowhere for the hedgehogs and fieldmice etc to hide.

I feel sad and would happily give back my extra sunlight to see every creatures home back in place. Just saying, as I know some of you will understand, sigh....

10/12/2013 at 17:43

oh Happygirl, that is very sad 

people with no sense of perspective and no love for nature...unlike you, it seems 

10/12/2013 at 17:49

Oh dear.  Can you make your garden into a 'wild woolly woody wildlife' area Happygirl?  It probably took years to grow like that and now it's all gone in a couple of days - so upsetting I feel for you. 

10/12/2013 at 17:49

But unless the council keeps coming back, it will all return, given time. 

10/12/2013 at 20:40

Jess, I love nature! I love watching the squirrels playing, the birds visiting, the hedgehogs snuffling about at night, the butterflies, bees, flora and fauna, I love it all, (except spiders, still can't like them!!) but the thing I love the most about nature, is how important it is, in so many ways and without it we are a troubled planet.

I'm no eco warrior, I'm just acutely aware of the damage we humans cause, the unending suffering we cause so many species and it saddens me.

Forester, my garden is trying to become a haven to creatures great and small. I have set aside areas of wildness, set up a hotel for mammals, reptiles and insects, put out the squirrel proof feeders but at the same time given the squirrels their own feeder (I saw them use it for the 1st time today, they're so good at it!!), planted the wildflower seeds, planted bee and insect friendly plants and left the leaf raking for another time. Project bird boxes is next on the list and even more so now! But unfortunately I have no room to create a natural woody overgrown area, I relied on next door

Landgirl, it will grow back, slowly, so long as those mean council boys stay away!! It had all got terribly overgrown, and did need a tidy up, just not as much as they did. It feels like a totally natural habitat has been destroyed and the only benefit from it will be the improved sunlight. There was years and years worth of under and over growth there and a whole community of wildlife amongst it, now needing to find new homes

One day people will finally appreciate the beauty and wonder of nature but probably not until its all gone....

10/12/2013 at 21:01

Who owned the garden that was cleared ?

The council are the same with grass verges, all cut to the ground

instead of  just where necessary!

I agree with you it is sad for the birds and other creatures who had a home their.

10/12/2013 at 21:18

The council own it Patty They do that here with the verges and hedges too

10/12/2013 at 22:21

I know Happy 

11/12/2013 at 15:42

well our council have gone mad,they put weed killer on the grass verges and brown stripes of dead grass appeared ,they left the gutters and pavements (which need to be clear)full of weeds and plants of all sorts growing,there was corn,garden flowers ,tree seedlings,tomato plants and all manner of wild plants,interesting until the rain came.

13/12/2013 at 11:53

I used to work for Hounslow Council, I was amazed how many calls we'd get asking trees etc to be cut down. Their reason? Because they birds woke them up in the morning!!!?? As long as there's people in the world like that there's always going to be these sad stories.

19/12/2013 at 22:15

Jim, that's just crackers!! I'd rather hear birdsong in the morning than that A14 any day!!!

So for an update - I'm pleased to report that the tits are back, and all happily feeding from the feeders again!!  The bird boxes went up today so I'm hoping they'll use them to roost in when the colder weather really kicks in and nest in in the spring. The squirrels and doves have all settled down again! Yay!!

19/12/2013 at 22:50

Glad things are now looking up a bit and the wildlife coming back.

21/12/2013 at 11:42

Yeah!, good news Happygirl, I was watching a couple of Blue Tits the day after my above post investigating one of my bird boxes. I heard them first, tapping away at the insides and tidying up the entrance hole. It was a joy to watch the two of them.

22/12/2013 at 18:39

Happygirl. Some of the wildlife will adapt. Some, however, will not.

22/12/2013 at 18:55
landgirl100 wrote (see)

But unless the council keeps coming back, it will all return, given time. 

If the same sort of actions are repeated in multiple locations then the chances of  'it will all return' becomes a much shorter bet.

19/02/2014 at 18:06

Yay, happiness reigns again as, although next door might have had everything in sight chopped down, I've got a nesting pair of blackbirds, thrushes and possibly robins in a variety of my unkempt shrubs!! I was so happy watching them all this morning before another day in the office and very pleased I hadn't been too meticulous with the clearing up this/last year.

We've also had loads of tits feeding again and one of my boys reckons they've been checking out the bird boxes, so fingers crossed on that!!

19/02/2014 at 18:51

HURRAH!!!!!!!!!  that's such lovely news 

19/02/2014 at 19:05

Great news!

19/02/2014 at 19:11

They've found a nice home in your garden Happygirl - happy days.

20/02/2014 at 11:25

I guess you need to see things from the Council's point of view. They're trying to let the house and a prospective tenant says 'Yes, but I'm not taking on that b+++++ jungle', perhaps for very good reasons, such as being disabled. They've got little choice but to tidy it, not half-tidy it.

However, it's true that not all Councils are equally skilful about caring for the natural environment. But it's up to us to make our views known - it is our Council, after all. Bear in mind, though, that they are so strapped for cash (blame that on bankers, government, selfish people who don't want Councils to be funded yet still expect all the services - take your pick!) that they are having to choose what they do and leave the rest.

But there is a crisis coming - the maintenance of highways is now appalling, social care is being slashed, education is being cut back, and all to remove any local authority input or accountability, so soon you won't have a Council to complain about!

1 to 20 of 21 messages