London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
6 messages
24/01/2013 at 17:49

My project for the Spring is to start work on a wildlife friendly pond. I have built ponds in the past, but not specifically wildlife friendly. I do intend it to hold ornamental fish too, which I know is not ideal.

Does anyone have any particular tips for the construction, or can you point me to any good sources of information?

Many thanks

24/01/2013 at 20:06

You can have a wildlife pond or a fish pond or you can have one of each but not both

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=622

This gives most info required

24/01/2013 at 20:57

Many thanks.

I'll take a look

24/01/2013 at 21:45

Our pond we dug out an area - put a  pond liner down filled with water and we put old carpet around the edge which got wildlife in as trees grew and are now at one side of the pond from the carpet, which brings in the birds in with the bird feeders in them.

If you build it he will come -  a saying from that film - field of dreams, which is what happened with our pond we had oxygen plants in it and we got frogs, pond skaters and newts that came from around some where. 

24/01/2013 at 22:42
I created a wildlife pond last autumn. I am looking for some advice on he best oxygenators for a small pond and perhaps where I could buy them. Thanks
24/01/2013 at 23:32

Do you need alot of plants in your pond for the wildlife and can the water be still?

email image
6 messages