Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

WILDLIFE PICTURES

Would love to see what pictures you have.here are some of mine.

saw one of these last year and one last wek

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

not got many this year yet.. as weatehr to awful to sit out in.. thou i did see a gorgeous tiny blue butterfly today.. as the sun was out.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

I had a lot of drama in my garden last year as the common bumble bee decided to nest in my flower border. We left the nest undisturbed, but something came and tried to dig the nest up twice,

And then, on the second occasion, we discovered the queen crawling though theflower bed away from the nest. She had been usurped by a cuckoo bee and had her wings bitten off...

After this, the nest was doomed to fail since the cuckoo bee queen uses the existing nest to lay and nurture her eggs but the cuckoo bee does not collect honey, so once all the worker bees have died off the nest becomes redundant. I have video footage of bee activity at the nest entrance where I saw at least two queen sized bees practicing their flying and tidying the nest. That's all I was able to find out about bees, but they are a favourite creature for me in the garden.

wintersong.. they are great pictures.. we had a nest last year of bumble bees in side of shed.. they are huge.. didnt know until we went to moves some pots.. they came out in force.. had to just leave it for rest of day.. hubbys says.. "well you wanted them in your garden.. can complain where they are nesting now"image

i  love them.. had oen otehr day not sen before it had white head.. wanting to take a picture but was to raining for it.

this little fella last year..

he still managed to eat the sunflowers seeds thou.

got this fella today..

these goldfinches visited me yesterday

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Oh how lucky you are!

wintersong..first time i have ever had so many.... lasat year i saw just about a dozen all year.

• Steff37Steff37 Posts: 28

Excuse the bad quality of the second, it was taken from my kitchen window on my phone.

Does this count? image

steff 37 they are great.. yeah that probs with windows... cant go out or they fly off.. the butterfly is beautifulimage