London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
11 messages
23/04/2014 at 19:18

Due to a pond hiccup, I have lots of Frog tadpoles which I am looking to rehome.

If there is anyone starting a wildlife pond in my area (West Somerset )  and would like some tads I would be more than willing to deliver  

23/04/2014 at 19:51

I wish you were a bit closer philippa

23/04/2014 at 19:53

I'm not sure moving tadpoles to somewhere else unless very local e.g. next door would work that well Philippa.  I think it might be better to set up a temporary pond by using a trug or washing up bowl either sunk level with the ground or with an escape ramp put in rather than re-home them as tadpoles.  You can move spawn successfully but as they have already hatched they would return to your garden anyway.

23/04/2014 at 20:42

Frogs return from where they emerge as metamorphs, not necessarily where they hatch from spawn.

I wish you were closer too! I'm desperately wanting some toadspawn/tadpoles.

23/04/2014 at 20:59

Mrs G........yes I understand what you mean......however I'm not sure just how far you can remove tads which was why I specified my area. Do you know of any research done which determines tadpole removal ?  I always understood that tads would return to their "home" so to speak.......rather like other species.

I have 2 temporary "ponds" which have the tads in.  The only reason I am even considering this is because my main  pond has a serious leakage problem....inherited I'm afraid........everytime I think I will try and repair, the rain comes down .  I have fish, frogs and \Newts and believe me, it is a b*****r to try an co ordinate everything#

I understand the biology but thought it worth a try

Nut...........where are you ?

23/04/2014 at 21:22

Well according to Justin you are fine to rehome them as tadpoles so good luck. 

23/04/2014 at 21:50

I've never thought about the point at which a pond becomes fixed in the tad/frog brain. Justin's point sounds valid though. It's just water til they emerge and experience the surroundings. I doubt if it makes any difference how far you move them before that

23/04/2014 at 22:44

The exact mechanisms which frogs use to return to the same pond aren't fully understood as yet but there's been experiments done where they are released into new ponds at various stages of the metamorphosis and it seems to be the emerging metamorph (froglet) stage that brings the frog back later to spawn itself. Interesting stuff!

23/04/2014 at 22:46

As an addendum the main reason that moving tadpoles or spawn is frowned upon is the transference of possible diseases from one place to another. Unlikely but possible. 

23/04/2014 at 22:52

Very interesting Justin, thank you. 

24/04/2014 at 10:37

Justin............many thanks.

email image
11 messages