London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
7 messages
04/04/2013 at 14:17

Hi i need some advice as my housing association are causing me greif about my ponds.

Anyone know where you stand in moving/ filling in a wild life pond 4ft by 2ft preformed liner. established wildlife in the way of frogs and invertebrates. my housing association will insist on me doing so as liability. as if small children can climb 6ft fencing!!! plus we have no little ones that visit the house.

to me it seems ridiculous i also have to fill in my 11ft by 7ft ornamental pond with waterfalls and well established marginal planted borders.

Any advice would be appreciated

04/04/2013 at 14:24

Hi Linda

What idiots.

Can you manage to find some endangered species in there. A couple of great crested newts would do. You can't interfere with those.

04/04/2013 at 14:54
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Hi Linda

What idiots.

Can you manage to find some endangered species in there. A couple of great crested newts would do. You can't interfere with those.

Very interesting advice nutcutlet.Would never have thought of that.

I hate to think what they'd have me me do at last house then!!! When I'm able to upload pix I will. 

Could you erect a smaller fence round them Linda? I know that sounds simplistic adn may not be feasible. Health and safety. The 3 most dangerous words in the English language aren't they?...

04/04/2013 at 17:11

Linda....I could say all kinds but one thing is for sure. This appears to be a legal matter, if thats the correct term to use

Have you thought about contacting CAB aka Citizens Advice Bureau. These are the people in the know with regards to your rights. Could be worth trying !

Hope all gets sorted.

04/04/2013 at 21:40

Put up a large sign...

"DANGER OF DROWNING"

04/04/2013 at 21:50

http://www.safapond.com/Home.asp

Not beautiful - but safe and you would still have the pond. 

There are several different manufacturers/suppliers - just google.

05/04/2013 at 08:16

Dove you're right they're not beautiful but if positioned just below the surface they wouldn't be too bad. I remember seeing a grille which someone had used in a similar way but it was quite ornamental and therefore added to the beauty of a pond. It had differing lengths of steel which had a stylised leaf shape at the end and was a steely blue colour. Very attractive but expensive I expect! 

Linda -perhaps a blacksmith could give you a quote for something along these lines? 

email image
7 messages