London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
13 messages
20/06/2012 at 12:29

I have been using two old drain pipes for years as storage for canes and poles so they have been upright and apart from the odd snail nothing has been in them.  I have decided that laying down in my wild bit they may benefit a little creature as a nest or hibernating place but I need some advice as to how to make them more attractive and predator proof.    I have piles of leaves and wood that I can either put in them or around them.  They are approx 1 metre long and 25 cm wide (3ft by 10ins approx for us oldies) and open ended.  Very heavy - made of concrete.

I have placed them under one of my oak trees (excuse the burnt wood art piece.  It was rescued from the bonfire when I thought it had potential - )

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/9006.jpg?width=331&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/9007.jpg?width=384&height=350&mode=max

I'm sure something would like to use them but haven't a clue really. 

20/06/2012 at 12:42

Mice might like them, especially if you put some logs around them.

20/06/2012 at 16:21

Hedgehogs might like them too - I agree with Alina, maybe put logs around them and leave piles of leaves nearby in autumn?  If animals think that they are a log pile, they will be more likely to approach them.  I'm sure some animals will be grateful for such a nice, warm home  

20/06/2012 at 17:02

Thank you both.  I'll do that small thing.  I'll pile up the logs so the concrete doesn't show so much.  There'll be plenty of leaves falling in autumn as there are six great oak trees there.  Should I block off one end or leave it open?  We get foxes, pine martens, neighbours cats and birds of prey here.  I know we have little mice as we moved a pile of wood the other day and made a little mouse homeless until he could scoot to the new pile.  Our dog was fascinated but didn't worry it. 

21/06/2012 at 19:25

As long as it is big enough for a large hedgehog to turn around in, then it would be great if you blocked one end up - the end that faces the prevailing wind would be best.  Maybe you could pile some logs up against the end, or even fasten a plastic bag around the end and then pile some logs against that to make it waterproof - I have done this in my garden for hedgehogs and it has stayed water tight for a couple of years.  You are going to need a lot of logs aren't you  

21/06/2012 at 19:52

Firstly, I really like the two photos.

In terms of those artifacts making a specific home, as others had said, I think they would be a lot more suitable with a lot more material piled on top and around, to give the entrances some seclusion, and also to insulate them. Insulation is particularly important for a Winter home.

21/06/2012 at 19:55

.... building a compost heap on top would make it really warm.

22/06/2012 at 13:40

Thanks Gary but I've already got a great big compost heap which keeps me going.  I will be making the pipes a little more pleasing to the eye shortly and will post up some photos when I'm done.  I can't wait for something to move in

24/06/2012 at 16:01

I was going to say Grass Snakes if you provide a warm environment, but if you get Pine Martens then maybe you're too far north?

I like the burnt wood sculpture btw

25/06/2012 at 17:40

Well, I think the housing estate is complete.  Do you think we've done enough to attract a hedehog or two?  Shame we cannot adopt them here. Can anyone send a couple by post?  I don't see how they'll come by themselves if they can't see far.  I might have to erect a neon sign at the end of the road.... Suggestions as to how to attract them into the garden is welcome.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/9233.jpg?width=350

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/9234.jpg?width=350

Quercus-rubur - we are SW France and we get Pine Martens - apparently.  I don't see them as I like my bed too much but I see their poo. 

The unique and fabulous burnt wood sculpture is available on an auction site for 2 million squid............  or near offer

25/06/2012 at 18:19

I'd cover the entrance over a tiny bit, and also put a few leaves inside to make it cosy.

You could also put a few peanuts inside - and see if they disappear.

25/06/2012 at 18:37

I'll do that wee thing.  I'll get some peanuts tomorrow and put them towards the back of the pipe as I've a food crazy dog.  I'm assuming cover the entrance with some bits of wood.  Hubs said the entrance was too big but I was being a smarty pants - again!

Thank you for taking the time to reply

25/06/2012 at 19:31

I started putting mealworms on the floor at night in my garden two years ago and I now have at least 4 or 5 hedgehog visitors every night - I even have hedgehog fights over the mealworms regularly - which consists of them huffing and puffing their disapproval at each other in a very comedic way.  Try sprinkling some mealworms around leading to the shelters and hopefully you'll get them too - the mealworms are much cheaper if you by them on eBay by the way!

email image
13 messages