Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

YOUNG STARLING ?

I was out in the garden pruning shrubs, when I looked up and saw what I think is a young starling.  It did not seem bothered by me or the neighbour working next door.

I went in for my camera, hoping it would be there when I got back  luckily it was:-

It stayed in the garden for ages, wandering around the lawn, then on the bird table, until it went back to the same bush.  No other starlings were around.

ALso got a pic of this:

Is it a bee or a wasp ?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Lyndab, that's quite an unusual colouring for a starling though I'm sure you're right, looking at the chest plumage.  I think the bee/wasp is actually a hoverfly.image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,269

Hoverflies are lovely little things. They are very calm and will let you stroke them. No sting, no bites. Just pretty.

Found a wonderful website last night while looking for that little green beetle for someone. It's called Wild About Britain and has different sections with photos taken by enthusiasts. You can enlarge the thumbnail photos and some of the details in them are breathtaking. The little hoverflies have little golden ruffs round their necks.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

i thought the starling looked a bit odd as well so I googled some pics and it is a starling.

and a hoverfly as Bob says

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • XX Posts: 707

It's an adolescent starling, just growing out of its young plumage (grey/brown colour) and getting its adult colouring.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

Never seen a young starling with a white head and bib like that. Looks really pretty. Is it a different one to the normal one you see? 

• LyndabLyndab Posts: 32

Thanks a lot for replies - It really is a pretty bird at this stage and not skittish at all.

I think I had better brush up on flys bees and wasp recognition - nice to know hoverfly don't sting.

• love starlings they come to my feeders in droves.. very noise as well.. it is a young one gaining its adult feathers.. they start off brown and  very beautiful.. the ones in my garden at mo are half and half.. and do looke strange.. but they are super

• its lovely to see them at dusk when do acrobatics across the sky before they roost.Somerset is the place to watch them.

• What a fantastic picture Lyndab and what a beautiful bird. I haven't seen a Starling since I really can't remember when, juvenile or otherwise so this is a fantastic reminder of what I've been missing image

here is a young one on my feeders.. they have been large groups for last two years.. nice to see.. thou very greedy and they love suet pellets..