Posted: 15/08/2013 at 12:34
How Poisonous, How Harmful?
Contains saponins but in a fairly small amount. Also contains a small amount of the cardiac glycoside, convallamarin, but the quantity is so small that there are no reported cases of poisoning. Ingestion of a very large quantity would be required but the plant is frequently subject to predation which means that it does not form the berries which might be attractive enough to encourage consumption.
No records exist of it causing harm
There is a huge difference between poisonous plants and toxic plants. Many of the things we grow are poisonous, including some of the Vegetables we eat. BUT the quantites needed to cause any harm are often in the stupid range.