Posted: 19/05/2014 at 12:14
I have to hang my head in deep shame - I, or rather the garden, have been chemical free for many, many years - then came lily beetle! Now, I how a large number of lilies, the vast majority in pots, and this year they have already been devastated by the red monsters. We go out twice a day and kill all we can, but we were losing the battle. I confess I went and bought a bottle of bug killer, I almost wore a hoody with the front pulled over my face in case anyone recognised me. I waited till 8.30 pm, hoping the bees etc. would be in bed - then I sprayed the lilies in pots - only the lily pots. I feel bad because I actually do not like chemicals, but I do love my lilies, and as this beast is an inadvertent import, nothing here will eat it. What else to do?