Posted: 07/06/2015 at 13:15
At last the weather is starting to turn sunny after a disappointing May
So, what toms and cucumber are people growing?
I have (all outside):
- Sweet n Neat tom- currently ablaze with flowers & very small toms growing
- Money Maker- first flowers opened last week
- Siberian red- Was very slow, but now growing well
- Gardeners Delight- reliable, flowering
- Sub Artic- lots of bad reviews but all 3 of my plants are flowering & germinating fine, will have to wait for the tasting
- Rio Grande- currently growing like a triffid- meant to be more reliable than Roma- time will tell
Cucumbers- Telegraph (old reliable!) and Space-master (dwarf, very good disease resistant)
Random question- Can you get 2 crops off determinate Toms?
Last year I grew Minibell (a dwarf determinate). After it finished cropping I severely cut main stalk to 5 inches, leaving just 2 leaves on. Well, I don't know if it was a fluke but it grew back strong and I had a late harvest on Toms again in late September!
I thought determinate types were meant to be produce toms all same time and die- this didn't happen when I severely trimmed...
Any-one else done this? I will be trialling again this year to see!