Posted: 13/06/2015 at 17:50
You have to ingest 99% of the poisons in the garden, i.e eat them. The only plant which can be toxic by touching is Aconitum which can be serious. Foxgloves, cow parsley and hemlock have to be eaten and all taste foul unless made into a something easily eaten, even Aconitum is extremely unpleasant to eat unless made into a tincture. Only the seeds of foxglove carry any serious levels of the digitalis the poison involved and who's going to feed you or your child the seeds. Your mother's experience should show you there's nothing to fear. Your fears are irrational and the evidence of accidental poisoning from gardening and most garden plants are extremely rare.
If you are still fearful, then I would suggest a visit to your GP to discuss it further.
I'm a professional gardener and I am in contact with poisonous plants 6-7 days a week, and so far, as far as I can tell, I'm still in possession of my faculties ( my wife might not agree), I have 10 fingers, ten toes and I'm healthy, so unless your'e going to intentionally poison someone by making a tincture to collect the insurance, you and your family will be perfectly safe.