London (change)
Today 19°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 12°C

Dave Morgan

Latest posts by Dave Morgan

Sad looking honeysuckle

Posted: 04/07/2015 at 10:03

They look too dry, drench each one with 2 -4 gallons each and water once a week with 2 gallons. They'll recover quite quickly.

Rose blooms

Posted: 03/07/2015 at 20:16

If you keep to drenching the pot once a week Christine ie filling it to the top and letting it drain through, then that's the only guide you need.

Rose blooms

Posted: 03/07/2015 at 17:13

It may well be dry Christine. there are usually 2 causes of what you describe and both at opposite ends of the scale, either too wet or too dry. It's a difficult balance, especially when growing roses in containers. A drench once a week is usually sufficient for roses in containers and a feed every 4-6 weeks.

tree peony

Posted: 03/07/2015 at 14:49

What compost did the garden centre recommend? It should have been John innes No3  plus  added grit. Tree peonies will only last a few years in pots min 12inch pots,, they'll need regular feeding throughout the summer and top dressing every spring. They really do better in borders than containers where they can really show off. I'd take it out of the pot and plant it deeply at least 4 inches below the level in the original pot.

tree peony

Posted: 03/07/2015 at 10:18

I don't know how you've treated it Deborah, but tree peonies are best planted in Autumn/Spring. They like good drainage, although I have seen them growing happily in clay, too much heat in the early days can hold them back and they won't establish. I'd hold off on the watering and mulch it, keep the mulch away from the main stem and leave it alone for a while. They can be slow to establish anyway, and if it's a grafted plant, it should be planted with the graft below soil level. Although hardy, they can be fickle in my experience especially when first planted.

Plant disease involving yellow leaves black spots

Posted: 03/07/2015 at 10:05

Your honeysuckle is too dry Suzie. It doesn't need spraying, it needs drenching with water weekly, at least 2 gallons. It'll recover on it's own if you keep the roots cool and moist.

Trouble with my shrub

Posted: 02/07/2015 at 21:07

Looks like Viburnham Tinus, with case of viburnham beetle. As I remember treat with Provado Ultimate bug killer

Brugmansia - Angel's Trumpet

Posted: 02/07/2015 at 21:04

Well done sara.

What now

Posted: 02/07/2015 at 21:03

Christine, sow in trays or pots outside, as for some saying they won't survive the winter that's not strictly true. If they are potted on as soon as you get the first set of true leaves and into 9cm pots, fed and cared for they do survive in a cold frame or even covered with fleece outside.  As long as you don't neglect them you'll keep 90% of what you sow now. If we get a long summer and a good September it's surprising how many will establish in the ground let alone in pots and cossetted and if your'e raising quite  few as I do, to loose a few is no big deal, and hugely cheaper than buying them commercially. 

What now

Posted: 02/07/2015 at 17:37

Try sowing lupins, sweet william, hollyhocks salvia's anything biennial now. They germinate quickly and if grown on can be planted in September to flower next year.

Discussions started by Dave Morgan

plant ID

Replies: 8    Views: 156
Last Post: 30/06/2015 at 18:09

Cut down Perennial Poppy?

Replies: 8    Views: 249
Last Post: 28/06/2015 at 08:50

Shrub ID

Replies: 6    Views: 270
Last Post: 02/04/2015 at 14:08

Uploading pics

Replies: 4    Views: 285
Last Post: 01/06/2015 at 14:50

New Pots in bags

Replies: 12    Views: 368
Last Post: 22/01/2015 at 19:00

Compost Advice

Replies: 11    Views: 550
Last Post: 22/12/2014 at 12:33

PM for Artjak Compost advice

Replies: 0    Views: 255
Last Post: 18/12/2014 at 15:06

Plant ID's please

Replies: 12    Views: 607
Last Post: 18/12/2014 at 10:23

Two ID's please

Replies: 25    Views: 723
Last Post: 16/12/2014 at 20:42

Winter 2014/15

Colder than Average Winter Advisory 
Replies: 21    Views: 1061
Last Post: 05/11/2014 at 15:33

Funny Wildlife

Squirrel V Woodpigeons 
Replies: 2    Views: 319
Last Post: 04/09/2014 at 21:40

Best Thornproof Gloves

Replies: 3    Views: 1402
Last Post: 26/05/2014 at 23:10

Clematis for a dry bank

Replies: 6    Views: 656
Last Post: 09/04/2014 at 15:20

Peach for fan traing

Replies: 3    Views: 464
Last Post: 13/02/2014 at 21:19

Colder weather is coming!

Replies: 17    Views: 2430
Last Post: 21/01/2014 at 17:54
1 to 15 of 17 threads