Posted: 30/08/2015 at 16:02
They won't go after him if he doesn't go after them - but do watch him if he's eating food in the garden, or having a juice drink - they can go after the fruit and it would he horrid if he got stung around the face.
That being said one of my children ran through a wild bees' nest when he was a child and was stung all over his face - he looked quite a sight for a few hours, but a doctor gave him Vitamin C and he recovered quickly.
Don't let your child be frightened of insects - just teach him to treat them with respect, and until he's old enough to be relied on to do that, keep an eye on him when he's in the garden ... which is what you'd do anyway
.And why would you want wasps in your garden? 'Cos they're beneficial insects and the Gardener's Friend http://www.downthelane.net/garden-wildlife/wasps.php