Posted: 11/12/2015 at 17:19
While I would usually say that ivy isn't poisonous enough to matter (think of using it in the home for Christmas decorations) I know that many sick children can have heightened sensitivity to allergens etc, so I agree, ivy is out.
Roses aren't toxic, but of course most of them have thorns - will the children be playing close to the fence?
The golden hop (humulus aurea) would grow there and aren't toxic - but the stems and leaves can be a little bristly so could cause a problem for sensitive skin if they came in contact.
The climbing nasturtium would be great, but it's an annual so would only be there in the summer.
Another thought is a grape vine.
I'll keep my thinking hat on.