Posted: 21/03/2017 at 01:44
I do not understand as my onions are usually 6lbs and over!!! I dare not tell you the size of my daffs bulbs.
Especially, this time of year as I'm a qualified daff plucker.
"Lycorine is a toxic crystalline alkaloid found in several plant species, such as the bush lily (Clivia miniata), Lycoris, and Narcissus. It may be highly poisonous, if not lethal, when ingested in certain quantities. Symptoms of lycorine toxicity are vomiting, diarrhea, and convulsions. Regardless, it is sometimes used medicinally, a reason why some groups may harvest the very popular Clivia miniata.
It inhibits protein synthesis, and may inhibit ascorbic acid biosynthesis, although studies on the latter are controversial and inconclusive. Presently, it serves some interest in the study of certain yeasts, the principal organism on which lycorine is tested.
Lycorine is also found in daffodil bulbs which are often confused with onions, thereby leading to incidents of accidental poisoning."
Last edited: 21 March 2017 01:46:00