Posted: 28/01/2016 at 18:38
I started to tidy the front garden/nature reserve. Mainly moved leaves, crisp packets blown from the bus stop, and dug out a few Avens, that I get infested with. I took off a lot of dead stems off of perennials, although the hesperis had a flower or two. Aquilegias are starting to grow well. I've left the spikes on the Phlomis russelliana for a bit longer.
This let light in to the primulas and bulbs that are now coming through. The Garrya is going to need a major cut back, it went mad last year, but it is covered in catkins at the moment.
Some Helleborus niger I had last year have survived and produced leaves, but no flowers.