Posted: 13/06/2015 at 12:31
Information is helpful - especially in garden centres, but many people inherit plants like these when they move. One answer is to teach children from a very early age never to eat anything unless they are certain it is safe - ask first. My generation grew up knowing not to swallow laburnum seeds. or eat the berries off bushes they were not already familiar with.
If you visit the poison garden at Alnwick Castle, which is surrounded by high walls and locked, you discover that you are actually growing the majority of plants in there in your own garden. Education is the key - not just to what is poisonous to eat, but plants that cause skin allergies too. Forearmed is forewarned.