London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C

Gary Hobson


Latest posts by Gary Hobson

Fork Handles

Posted: 26/02/2013 at 08:17

Helloooooooooooooo forkers,

At least I'm up, and have fed the hungry birdies. It's damp and dreary here. Another poor day forecast. But the rest of the week should be a bit brighter, if not much warmer.

Edwardian terraced house front

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 15:12

I think that is a really good idea. Many people are familiar with the idea of restoring the interior of a house. But restoring a garden is less common.

People are often at a loss to know what to do with a front garden. Period restoration is a sensible answer.

I don't know the actual answer to your question, but books such as the one just below may provide some useful information and original photos. I don't know whether the book says much about front gardens..

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ws4fAQAAIAAJ&q=edwardian+front+gardens&dq=edwardian+front+gardens&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ln0rUehBhZbRBe_IgagL&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAg

It's available from Amazon for just a couple of pounds (click the Amazon link on that page).

My own house, which dates from just before that period, had dahlias, and climbing roses over a trellis, in the front garden. But that's in a rural location.

Fork Handles

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 14:46

He sometimes gives his foxy friends a treat.

Fork Handles

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 14:33

Isn't that a lovely story - a couple were given a tin of chicken - as a wedding present. And they kept it, lovingly, for 50 years.

Corned beef is supposed to keep well.

Fork Handles

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 14:27

Or if my Broadband goes down, and I am unable to submit my Tesco order.

You need to be prepared for these contingencies.

Fork Handles

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 14:21

It's a useful standby.

In case of nuclear attack, or civil unrest.

I wouldn't be much good at surviving on berries and stuff found in hedgrows, especially if it's Winter.

Fork Handles

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 14:11

I have a tin of dog food (not for my own personal consumption). Out of curiosity I've just had a look at the 'ingredients'. Contains 'Meat derivatives'. What exactly does that mean? Meat derived from what?

It's supposed to be 'Superchunks with Chicken'. The ingredients say that 4% of the meat is chicken. Where does the other 96% come from?

Nettles

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 14:01

You very often find nettles growing around chicken runs. It's the rich fertile soil produced by chickens, that nettles particularly enjoy. Many of the nutrients from the chicken manure are effectively taken up by the nettles.

Nettles are normally quite easy to pull up (using gloves of course).

Fork Handles

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 13:27
Rosa carriola wrote (see)

 at beginning of April,.. she had died of exposure in a snow drift.

If it was 1947, there were savage snow drifts as late as March. The worst snowfall of the century was on March 5th 1947.

Fork Handles

Posted: 25/02/2013 at 13:13
Lottiebeans wrote (see)

... it was in the national press. Would have been in the 1880's.

If you're interested in family history, you probably know that many national and local newspapers from that period have been scanned and indexed and their contents can be seen on-line.

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Discussions started by Gary Hobson

New BBC Gardening Show looking for Kitchen Gardeners

Replies: 11    Views: 1307
Last Post: 31/03/2014 at 19:57

Hampton Court Family Garden Competition

You are invited to design a family garden which will be built this year at Hampton Court 
Replies: 8    Views: 819
Last Post: 10/02/2013 at 15:01
2 threads returned