Posted: 07/06/2013 at 22:02
Very true nut...it is rather sad. Health and Safety don't really figure in the plant world...
Besides, toxicity in a typical native woodland garden would hardly even compare to the toxicity urban children have to endure passively every day through the crappy air they breathe, the pesticides in foods they ingest etc etc...
Blimey, what's wrong with teaching them something useful, like how to recognise and avoid certain plants? And also how toxic plants can also be extremely useful in medicine and science perhaps? (digoxin from digitalis for example).
We went on school trips back in the 70s and that's what it was all about!
Sorry Moira - I know my post won't help you, but is there no way you can get around these obviously ridiculous health and safety protocols at all? They will somewhat stunt your creativity in designing this, I fear, which is a shame as you are clearly enthusiastic and deserve more help than we can give!