Posted: 27/08/2017 at 17:04
At last I've been able to get on and get the raised bed and wildlife pond nearly finished. I went out to the garden centre today to get some grasses and the plants for the wildlife pond and although I couldn't get what I wanted I made a start.
First up were the stones to finish off the pond edge and also for the pond itself to act as shelter for pond life and an escape for any animals that fall in. I've already had one sparrow drown in the pond.
First job was to bailout the water in the pond as that had a film of oil on the surface. Next was to wash the stones as they had a layer of dust on them. Then it was finish off placing some of them around the edge to give a bit of shade and also place a few into the pond along with some sand and pebbles.
Next was to get the grass (Stipa Tenuissima) into the raised bed. I had hoped to get a Stipa Arundinacea as well but they garden centre had run out of stock. I wanted to get something to add some different colour.
Lastly it was place the Equisetum into the pond, drop the oxygenator weed I'd been able to get and fill it up. I have had to use tap water to fill it up and over the next few days any chemicals should evaporate off. I will order the extra plants waterstar wort & horn wort, greater pond sedge and a dwarf lily online once the damage is known on my bank balance.