Posted: 03/09/2013 at 20:28
John H’s Courgette Bake Recipe:
1 Medium Courgette (about 400gms)
1 Medium Red Onion
150gms bacon lardons or 3 chopped rashers of bacon
1 Garlic clove crushed & chopped (or minced)
125mls Crème Fraiche
250gms grated cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons ordinary olive oil
200gms self-raising flour
500gms* sliced tomato (approx. 5mm slices)
30gms Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
8-10 leaves of fresh Basil (sliced not chopped)
3-4 tablespoons chopped fresh Parsley
Desert spoon chopped Fresh Thyme leaves
4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3-4 slices of bread crumbed in a food processor
Sea Salt and ground black peppercorns
* or sufficient to cover the top of the mix – see 5 below - [I use beefsteak tomatoes]
1. Chop Red Onion into approx. 10mm pieces and fry gently with the bacon until soft & bacon beginning to crisp. Leave to cool.
2. Combine the grated courgette with the onion , bacon, flour, ordinary olive oil, beaten eggs, milk + salt & pepper to taste.
3. Pour into a 10 x 8” greased tin.
4. Mix the garlic into the Crème Fraiche and spread evenly over the mix.
5. Place the slices of tomato over the mixture and sprinkle the sliced Basil over.
6. Mix the chopped parsley and thyme with the bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese, plus a little sea salt & ground black peppercorns to taste, add the extra virgin olive oil and mix together, then sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the tomato & basil.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160°C (fan oven) or 180°C ordinary oven for approx. 40 minutes until the top of the breadcrumb mix is golden brown (check after 30mins).