Posted: 25/08/2013 at 23:05
I have been reading of the practice of using a solution of bleach before storage of butternut squash and wonder whether anybody has experience of this, please?
I read that in a paper produced for commercial growers in America, they use a solution of 9 parts water to 1 part bleach. Other UK kitchen gardeners talk of a couple of tablespoons bleach to a gallon of water. Apparently, the solution should be used to wipe the butternut squash over, thus aiding in killing off mould spores and hence aiding in the storage. The butternuts should be left to dry naturally.
I have yet to try the method. I generally do garden organically. Many thanks.
Apologies if a version of this post has been posted previously, am not sure whether it got away.