Posted: 29/07/2012 at 16:02
On our return to the UK last August we moved into a new place in the East Midlands and were upset to see that the bee problem was not just confined to N. America. We cut out 5 new beds (herb, veg, fruit, ornamental and wildflower) with the idea that the latter 2 would be for pollinating insects. Sadly, although the wildflower border did extremely well, on our return 3 weeks ago from a short break, we found that the majority of plants were prostrate on the lawn (heavy storms). However, Hubby fashioned a rather odd-looking support system and they have continued to flower nicely and attracted lots of bees of all kinds. In the ornamental bed, I followed Sarah Raven's advice and looked out for the plants/bulbs/seeds that had the logo on the pack; the single flower dahlias, the lupins, the achillea are all doing the job beautifully - my new apples trees (2, planted 6 metres apart) have been cross-pollinated very successfully.